F450 ARF Kit with E300

Reaction score
I am coming from a failed Phantom2 VisionPlus. 6 week old quad, no video what so ever, that's another story. I just got everything except batteries and charger for the F450. I really liked the long fly times of the P2V+ and would like to get long times on the F450. I will have the H3-3D and GoPro camera with Boscam TS353 on the quad. What battery would you suggest, size, brand, and charger?

Thanks!

I'm running a 4S 3600mAh on my F450. Unloaded (i.e. no FPV gear, camera or gimbal) I'm getting about 15 minutes of flight time until first level warning on that setup - mine does not have the E300, though, which is apparently more efficient. I don't have enough experience with lipos yet to say what's a good brand, and what isn't - someone will be along with an opinion soon, though!

There is quite a bit of discussion on this strewn throughout the 550 thread. You are asking for what seems to be a heavily discussed topic that has personal preferences.

I have had great luck with Onyx batteries. I don't have a 450 so I won't recommend the size but you could probably use up to a 8000 with 3s (the Helipal RTF version uses a 5700 Storm and the Onyx has a lot more oomph). Others will recommend 4s.

I use an iCharger... others have their favorites. http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-208b.html - you can also use much cheaper chargers - as long as they are balance chargers. The expensive chargers are needed for the bigger (6s) batteries and for convenience/time saving.

Since you are using a heavier machine, you will need a bigger battery to even come close to the P2 flight times. However, getting the really long flight times you have enjoyed with the Vision will probably be difficult.

Thanks. I figured I wouldn't get the times I had on the V+ but 15 minutes without a panic would be nice. I've tried searches on batteries and the search engine always says I need to be more specific. It was difficult. It would be nice to have a date in the search would be nice since I've found that I have been reading some things that are 6 months plus old. Things change a lot in a matter of months. I'll look up the Onyx brand. I suppose I have to solder on the type of connector that I want to use on the new battery? There is another multi wire coming from the battery and I suppose that connects to a battery sensor?

Yes to soldering on whatever your preferred connector is if it doesn't come in your required flavour - lots of good youtube videos out there about how to do that. Just snip and solder one wire at a time to prevent a nasty short.

The multi-wire is the balancing plug. When used with a balance charger it's this that allows each cell to be matched. In flight it just hangs out, waving in the breeze. :) Some accessories like lights, battery voltage buzzers, etc, use it as a power source.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj