F/w Update RC issue?

Reaction score
Again.. I have had issues with the update process of the Phantom 4. I successfully updated the aircraft but when I plugged my mobile device into my radio controller, it did't ask to update the controller. I deleted and restarted the DJI go app.. But still it didn't ask me to update the firmware for the controller. DJI need to get their act together on this f/w update, its become exasperating!

So, Ive removed the battery, put another one in, tuned everything off etc.. NOW it was ready to update the controller! Controller updated and everything restarted.

However, controller still shows same version? Or does this apply to something other than f/w ?

As of 19 June 2016
RC f/w is version 1.6.0 <----- IS THIS THE LATEST ???
Aircraft f/w is version 01.01.0411

Last edited:
Yes your RC has the latest FW.

Yes your RC has the latest FW.
Thank you - but that begs the question why did it say version 1.6 before I upgraded the RC?! And whereabouts on the DJI website does it tell you what the latest RC f/w is? (NOT AIRCRAFT F/w).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last night I received this updates required in the go app. I figured, let me check what it is. Turns out it was controller only so I figured, ok, simple, I don't even have to plug anything in. The process went perfectly and then required a controller restart. That's when it all failed. It shut off fine but absolutely will not restart. No lights nothing. Not even when plugged into the charger. UPS here we go again. Right now I'm waiting on my P4 to come back from cracked shell repair while I fly a my spare P4. Before it even comes back I have to send out this controller. While I do have the spare controller that came with my spare bird, it's an 8 hour round trip away. Is there anything I can try while I still have the controller here? Regardless, if I go and get my second, I'm going to be extremely leery of updating.

I've learned my lesson. First turn everything off to see if the message is a fluke in spite of DJI's penchant for firmware releases. If the message is still there, stop, wait, go on the forums and see what happens to the guinea pigs. Of which I was one last night. **** it!! Now I have a bricked controller while sitting next to the ocean with the most amazing flying weather I've seen in weeks.

Last edited:
I'm sure you left RC on last night and battery got drained off to near zero. Keep charging for few hours (5-6 hours) best wishes. Hope all will get normal soon.

I'm sure you left RC on last night and battery got drained off to near zero. Keep charging for few hours (5-6 hours) best wishes. Hope all will get normal soon.

I wish it were that simple. But no. The battery was 4 led on, full when the update was done. So unless a 4 minute update managed to drain an almost full controller battery, it makes no sense. Also, even if I were to manage draining a controller battery past the last led, it would still come on after a couple of minutes in the charger. I have zero, nothing, nada, niente, nichts from the leds when charging. It is bricked. All from a firmware update.

Last night I received this updates required in the go app. I figured, let me check what it is. Turns out it was controller only so I figured, ok, simple, I don't even have to plug anything in. The process went perfectly and then required a controller restart. That's when it all failed. It shut off fine but absolutely will not restart. No lights nothing. Not even when plugged into the charger. UPS here we go again. Right now I'm waiting on my P4 to come back from cracked shell repair while I fly a my spare P4. Before it even comes back I have to send out this controller. While I do have the spare controller that came with my spare bird, it's an 8 hour round trip away. Is there anything I can try while I still have the controller here? Regardless, if I go and get my second, I'm going to be extremely leery of updating.

I've learned my lesson. First turn everything off to see if the message is a fluke in spite of DJI's penchant for firmware releases. If the message is still there, stop, wait, go on the forums and see what happens to the guinea pigs. Of which I was one last night. **** it!! Now I have a bricked controller while sitting next to the ocean with the most amazing flying weather I've seen in weeks.
An RC controller only update? Do DJI even do such updates? I thought they updated both modules together?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1