f.a.a part 107 and background check question.

Reaction score
Im interested in taking the 107 remote pilot certificate license, and I've heard that they will do a background check. I have no prior convictions , but unfortunately me being young and dumb (I'm only 19) I did something that I deeply regret and I got arrested for, So fyi I got arrested on 2 counts for petty larceny both of which are misdemeanors , and I have court in a month will this effect my ability to get a remote pilot certificate license or is it not a big deal ?

It's a TSA & DHS based check. So long as your not on the terror watchlist (no fly list) you'll be fine.

Since it's still "pending" and you're not convicted it should be a moot point. Plus like N017RW pointed out, as long as you're not on a No Fly list or being investigated by DHS you should be fine. I don't even know if a recent DUI or similar would affect Remote Pilot Certificate where-as it would a full fledged Pilot's license.

Since it's still "pending" and you're not convicted it should be a moot point. Plus like N017RW pointed out, as long as you're not on a No Fly list or being investigated by DHS you should be fine. I don't even know if a recent DUI or similar would affect Remote Pilot Certificate where-as it would a full fledged Pilot's license.

The 107.57 heading implies that alcohol-related offences might be an issue, but the text doesn't specifically mention alcohol.

§107.57 Offenses involving alcohol or drugs.
(a) A conviction for the violation of any Federal or State statute relating to the growing, processing, manufacture, sale, disposition, possession, transportation, or importation of narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulant drugs or substances is grounds for:

(1) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of final conviction; or

(2) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.

(b) Committing an act prohibited by §91.17(a) or §91.19(a) of this chapter is grounds for:

(1) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of that act; or

(2) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

107.59 indicates the problem with refusal to submit to testing.

§107.59 Refusal to submit to an alcohol test or to furnish test results.
A refusal to submit to a test to indicate the percentage by weight of alcohol in the blood, when requested by a law enforcement officer in accordance with §91.17(c) of this chapter, or a refusal to furnish or authorize the release of the test results requested by the Administrator in accordance with §91.17(c) or (d) of this chapter, is grounds for:

(a) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of that refusal; or

(b) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
The 107.57 heading implies that alcohol-related offences might be an issue, but the text doesn't specifically mention alcohol.

(a) A conviction for the violation of any Federal or State statute relating to the growing, processing, manufacture, sale, disposition, possession, transportation, or importation of narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulant drugs or substances is grounds for:

(1) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of final conviction; or

(2) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.

(b) Committing an act prohibited by §91.17(a) or §91.19(a) of this chapter is grounds for:

(1) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of that act; or

(2) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

107.59 indicates the problem with refusual to submit to testing.

A refusal to submit to a test to indicate the percentage by weight of alcohol in the blood, when requested by a law enforcement officer in accordance with §91.17(c) of this chapter, or a refusal to furnish or authorize the release of the test results requested by the Administrator in accordance with §91.17(c) or (d) of this chapter, is grounds for:

(a) Denial of an application for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating for a period of up to 1 year after the date of that refusal; or

(b) Suspension or revocation of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

I've never seen that particular portion but have now. Thanks for the citing my friend. It makes sense for sure.

Thinking about this, I highly recommend that you contact the AOPA, (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association). They have been around for 60+ years and are the largest voice that General Aviation has. Their lawyers on staff are in the best position to correctly answer your questions. If you join, they provide legal assistance for all types of Certificate Actions that can be brought against a pilot. They just started a sUAS division and I highly recommend everyone who fly's an sUAS to join.
Go to this link and then toggle the , "Legal & Medical" tab. Give them a call, even if you do not join.
https://www.aopa.org/?_ga=2.1741 ... 05421233.1490909812

107.59 indicates the problem with refusal to submit to testing.

Thank you very much for this extract. When I took my part 107 test, this was extensively asked for and I did not know. Thanks God I knew the others and I passed. Now, I am preparing to the recurrent..and this is very helpful to know.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj