Extracting data from P3A for use with Dashware?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm absolutely certain this has been covered, but my searches are turning up nada.
Can someone point me to a good tutorial about how to get the flight data out of my P3A for meshing with the video via Dashware? The Dashware site has cool video tutorials, but none of them cover how to actually get the flight data out of the drone. They mention using the Flytrex or Vision+ apps, but neither of those seem to have been updated for a while, and Vision+ doesn't even mention the P3, only the V2+.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...as usual.

Reactions: Rich2871
Hi guys,
I'm absolutely certain this has been covered, but my searches are turning up nada.
Can someone point me to a good tutorial about how to get the flight data out of my P3A for meshing with the video via Dashware? The Dashware site has cool video tutorials, but none of them cover how to actually get the flight data out of the drone. They mention using the Flytrex or Vision+ apps, but neither of those seem to have been updated for a while, and Vision+ doesn't even mention the P3, only the V2+.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...as usual.
Have a look here:
GUI Version of DatConverter

Reactions: karamazin
Windows 7 x64, sorry about that.
Wow, that DatConverter looks sweet, I'll check it out when I get home, thanks!
Do I understand correctly that it converts the .dat log files that I would download directly from the onboard memory of the Phantom itself, and not the .txt flight data that I discovered last night can be obtained from the app?
Do these dat files contain more data than the txt files? They're certainly MUCH larger?
After posting my question last night, I was able to connect my Phantom via USB (found some instructions on another site) and download a couple of the dat files, but they're huge and of course I can't open them.
The txt files that I found on my tablet (also via instructions from another site) seem to have most of the main flight info in them, and I was even able to sync a simple flight with Dashware, but I'd love to have access to more data if that's contained in the dat files.
Like I said, I know this info is out there, I just can't seem to find it...

Windows 7 x64, sorry about that.
Wow, that DatConverter looks sweet, I'll check it out when I get home, thanks!
Do I understand correctly that it converts the .dat log files that I would download directly from the onboard memory of the Phantom itself, and not the .txt flight data that I discovered last night can be obtained from the app?
Correct.

Do these dat files contain more data than the txt files? They're certainly MUCH larger?
At the moment the converted dats have:
upload_2016-2-9_21-8-43-png.43350

After posting my question last night, I was able to connect my Phantom via USB (found some instructions on another site) and download a couple of the dat files, but they're huge and of course I can't open them.
No you have to use the Datconverter available here. It will convert the .Dat to a .csv
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbdotn7xnnyyuda/DatCon.zip?dl=1
The txt files that I found on my tablet (also via instructions from another site) seem to have most of the main flight info in them, and I was even able to sync a simple flight with Dashware, but I'd love to have access to more data if that's contained in the dat files.
Like I said, I know this info is out there, I just can't seem to find it...
Once you convert to csv you need to download and install the Dashware profile found here
http://members.freemail.ch/paulg/Dashware/v3/dasheware profile Datconverter and litchi.zip

Very cool info, thanks Luap! I'll digest all that when I get back to my machine and can process it all.
I think this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
For basic flight data overlays, do you find the data in the txt files stored in the app to be sufficient, or should I still use the dat files and do the conversion?
I ask because using the txt files is much simpler (smaller files also), especially with the auto-upload feature of Healthydrones.com, which I have set up but haven't used yet, since my tablet isn't here yet.
I'm just trying to mentally develop a plan to avoid a bunch of backtracking and unlearning of bad habits. This stuff is tricky enough without having to learn it wrong first. :)
Thanks again for your help.

looks cool. I am definitely not a dashware wiz. I was able to cobble together a few P2V3+ csv and mpg files a year ago, but it was PAINFUL.

Your dashware template SEEMS like it would be a good answer to my wanting to scope my P2V3+ csv files, but it won't load them because us oldy guys with P2's don't have all the csv columns your template wants.

If I was a dashware dude, I would modify that quickly to work with our older phantoms, but alas, I am just a dumb old dude....

Any chance you could share how to delete the cool columns you get with your P3's that we don't have with our antique P2s? Sorta like a dumbed down dashware tutorial? If so, I would be happy to try to do it. I would LOVE to stick my csvs that come directly from UF program into your dashware template!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav