EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY FOR UPGRADING?

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my dji phantom 2 for about 3 months now and am going to attempt to use the flight assistant software for the first time, I read to make sure the power is connected and will not turn off durring fireware updates but I cant find any info on plugging a wall outlet to the phantom durring update to make sure it stays powered the whole time, how do I go about plugging the phantom in so that it is powered externally? also I have a mac but also access to a pc tablet which would be better for me to use? finally which installers should I use? I have downloaded the following but have not opened any of them yet they are:
RC_System_Installer_v1.2.dmg
Phantom_2_Installer_v3.6.dmg
2-1.4G_Bluetooth_DataLink_Installer_v1.0.0.6.exe
iOSD_Installer_4-1.0.exe

the last 2 i think are pc files and probably wont work for me so maybe I should use a pc or do I not need to upgrade those? I only want to set ATT/GPS mode and FAILSAFE modes and also adjust the gimbal speeds, I also plan to run ground station. Im good with electronics should I just make sure my batteries are fully charged and plug into the computer usb and see what happens? I also have the FPV cable and hub, iosd mini, AVL58 5.8ghz video kit, and the h3-3d gibal. Thank you for any and all help.

The Phantom doesn't need AC power during an upgrade. You should just make sure the battery is well over half full before doing any upgrading. The upgrade process takes less than a minute, usually.

For a Mac, you only need the dmg files.

thank you for filling me in on that the web site confused me with that part, but i have hit another issue, my mac is to old and the processor is a g5 so i cant upgrade ANYTHING with out a intel processor, that said im going to have to try with my tablet pc, which files are needed if I go with the updates through the pc? and also will i only be able to run updates off the pc or can I go back to mac when i have a new computer and not have to reformat anything? like an ipod where if its set up on a pc and you try and open it on mac it wont let you change anything without wipping the whole thing which i want to avoid and also i think the ground station only runs on ipad? i might be wrong about that though. I recently downloaded onto my android phone an app called ground station but its not the one I see most people use with the green icon with GS on it this is called ground station 6.0.0 with an icon that looks like quad chopper examples when showing blade direction (blue ball in the center, with 4 green lines going to 4 red balls that would be the blades) has anyone else tryed this app? (it was a free download off the app store)

I just watching this video which was a big help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ar42lamwLw
but im still a little confused why do I need to download both Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6 and Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.4 running on mac? cant I just download 1 of these? also the video didnt cover anything on the actual controller so do I have to upgrade that also cause they didnt do that in the video? and I'm still wondering what I need to download to do my updates on a PC?

On a PC you first need to install the USB driver software, then you install the Phantom Assistant software.

You won't need to "reformat" anything when using the Phantom with another computer. It has no ties to the computer.

You should only need the latest version of the Assistant software. But do note that there's a separate assistant for the RC controller (transmitter).

The separate GroundStation app only works if you have the 2.4Ghz Groundstation DataLink hardware installed.

Thank you and sorry but now i have a few more questions, where can I download this USB driver software? http://download.cnet.com/windows/usb-drivers/ this is the first link to come up when I google searched USB driver software?

The RC controller assistant software, do I need this to? and if so should I alway update one after the other? in any order?

finally I have the AVL58 5.8ghz video kit will this not support ground station? if not should I get rid of it altogether and buy the 2.4Ghz Groundstation DataLink hardware? or should I buy that and keep the AVL58 5.8ghz video kit? will both work together well?

thank you so much for all the help! the more I look into this stuff the more questions I have, sorry about that!

The AVL5.8Ghz video kit and the DataLink serve two different purposes. You should learn about each to decide what you want to do.
You could have them both installed together, though you might not want to (due to the added weight).

Thank you both! I am trying to learn more and I have been looking online all day and didnt take the time till now to stop and look at what was right infront of me, from what I can tell is the dji phantom 2 does not have its own bluetooth link, which is what the datalink does (correct me if im wrong) so the datalink will make the phantom have its own bluetooth which then can be used to access the the groundstation being the phantom now have a bluetooth link the ground station can pick up to work with, and the AVL58 datalink is used to send video data to your monitor on the ground? I may be wrong but from what ive read this seems to be whats going on.

Now im wondering is there a datalink that will work both sending the video to the monitor and bluetooth data to the ground station? which will save weight as stated? or if you want both do you need both hooked up to the phantom?

Also as far as my original question now, after I use the link here and download this software do I still need to download the software for the controller? or can I use this same software and simply now plug the controller into the USB cable and it will update the control the same as the craft? and how often to I have to update my controller? I dont see alot on here about people doing so?

My main use for the phantom is for cinematic purposes so ATTI/GPS would be good for an over a car driving shot say, and the ground station for more indeepth shots where I can set the wavepoints and just have to worry about using the camera and gimbal and another reason I want to tweek and adjust the speed of the gimbal, or go from up high and then lower down near my subjects. I thought id add this as it seems the more info the more you good people can help me. Thank you all very much!

The BT Datalink is a bit confusing, since it uses non-bluetooth 2.4Ghz communication to talk between the craft and the ground, and it uses the bluetooth on the ground to talk to a tablet or PC.

As far as a datalink that does both video and control, that's called the DJI Lightbridge, and it's very expensive, since it also transmits HD video.

The RC Assistant is a separate program from the Phantom Assistant, and you typically just need to run it once to calibrate the remote's hardware with its software. Note that you also do a similar calibration with the Phantom Assistant to calibrate a particular remote to the Phantom.

ah I see thank you very much for that info. So it save to say that I should download the RC assistant also and run it once or only use the Phantom Assistant? I have the older RC with the gimbal lever on the back not the one with the ball so i will assume i dont have to change anything just run the basic calibration on the RC correct? also would it matter which I ran first, RC Assistant vs. Phantom Assistant? I havnt seen many videos on the RC Assistant, only the Phantom Assistant?

Yes it matters...

Do the RC assistant first then the Phantom assistant.

Ok thank you I noticed something else now, I have read that if you have the DJ6 RC and NOT the h3-2d gimbal, like me who is using the h3-3d gimbal with DJ6 RC the RC assistant says to skip step 3 to upgrade the controllers firmware? Which step 3 says is update the gimbal firmware, so im guessing dont upgrade because im using a different gimbal? I dont want to run into trouble with my gimbal should I maybe not upgrade at all? will the Phantom Assistant know which gimbal I have?

I am seeing now there is also a firmware update for my iOSD mini, so should I update this as well and what order should I upgrade everything? RC + P2 + iOSD mini?
RC + iOSD mini + P2?

Upgrading the gimbal (GCU) may change how the tilt control works. Earlier firmware uses absolute control, where the gimbal tilt position follows the lever position. Newer firmware uses relative control, where the tilt movement follows the lever position (up = moves up, center = no movement, down = moves down).

So let me get this straight the gimbal (GCU) upgrade is a separate update on the Phantom Assistant so if I update my RC my gimbal will still operate the same? I like the way my gimbal works now, i dont want to change it, and with doing that do you think id get into trouble having upgraded all the other firmware? or will the P2 firmware upgrade just update everything? like I said id like my gimbal to stay the way it is just lowwer the gimbal speed is all, can I change this all without upgrading anything? just only run the Phantom Assistant and not upgrade, just tweak settings? is this wise?

I'm not aware of the Assistant software ever leaving anyone in a configuration where one version of something wasn't compatible with some other version of something.
However, I am aware of the Assistant software "forcing" some upgrades as soon as you plug in the Phantom. Assuming it hasn't done this already, then you should be safe
to upgrade only what you want, or nothing at all, and just use the settings/calibration part of it.

Thank you again CityZen, do you think it would hurt, since all I really wanna do is have ATTI/GPS mode and FAILSAFE mode set up so guessing that when I open the software it dosent just start auto updating, im thinking run the RC Assistant and not upgrade anything! just re-calibrate, then do the same with the Phantom Assistant and again only re-calibrate, then simply switch to NAZA-M, set my ATTI/GPS and FAILSAFE swtiches, and then turn down my gimbal speed and call it a day? since this is all I really care to worry about right now? and should I do a final calibrate after I change these settings? or should the first calibration cover me and I can simply powercycle and then disconnect? also is there a right and wrong way to disconnect from either Assistant? for example how you should dismount a usb drive rather then just pulling it out? Thanks again for all the patience with my questions and answering!

As long as you don't unplug while upgrading, you can just unplug it without doing anything.

Ok thank you so much again I have just one more concern with doing this, I am guessing start with the RC Assistant first and see if it atuo upgrades or not cause I hear its very important to upgrade the RC first even though I dont actually plan to upgrade anything, but my last worry is what if I only calibrate the RC then open the Phantom Assistant and it were to just start an auto upgrade how bad or dangerous will that be if I then have to upgrade the RC 2nd rather then first?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20