Extended Batteries

Reaction score
What extended batteries have you had good luck with? Did it require modification for the battery door? If so, what did you do?

Thanks.

Haven't tried personally but apparantly it complains if a non-DJI battery is detected and haven't heard any whisper of a replacement that extends flight time

007trains said:
Haven't tried personally but apparantly it complains if a non-DJI battery is detected and haven't heard any whisper of a replacement that extends flight time
Fair enough. I was sort of afraid of that because I've not been able to find anything searching everywhere. Just looking to get the maximum flight time I can get as I'll be shooting real estate with mine.

Thanks.

Given that these are intelligent batteries there is a potential for software issues with replacement batteries so you have to ask yourself is the increased risk worth it for a couple of extra minutes flying ?

fwiw, I also get most of my enjoyment taking still photographs of buildings/landscpes rather than just the pleasure of zooming around. I find a second battery very useful. The first one I use to explore photo possibilites and shoot some jpegs and then when I know what i want I send her up with the second battery to actually get the shot.

pault said:
Given that these are intelligent batteries there is a potential for software issues with replacement batteries so you have to ask yourself is the increased risk worth it for a couple of extra minutes flying ?
I don't really buy that argument. There are a finite amount of battery manufacturers in the world. My guess is one place makes these batteries and they are bought by many different companies. Different connectors differentiate them for the different companies.

I don't see anything on these batteries which makes them smart. Looks like any other cell battery. The smartness comes from the copter (my guess).

I use 3rd party batteries for other devices (with those batteries supposedly smart as well) with no problems. Of course, I don't have these devices in the air where they'd fall to their death in the event of a failure. :)

GadgetRick said:
I don't really buy that argument. There are a finite amount of battery manufacturers in the world. My guess is one place makes these batteries and they are bought by many different companies. Different connectors differentiate them for the different companies.

I don't see anything on these batteries which makes them smart. Looks like any other cell battery. The smartness comes from the copter (my guess).

I use 3rd party batteries for other devices (with those batteries supposedly smart as well) with no problems. Of course, I don't have these devices in the air where they'd fall to their death in the event of a failure. :)

Yes, I take your point. Personally my Vision has perfomed faultlessly but if you did have a flyaway or other problem using a non DJI battery presumably you would have no chance to try to get a replacement machine. To be fair, I do not know what DJI's policy is, maybe you would not get a replacement anyway.

Sometimes I think that I am a bit over cautious as I would never dream of using a non standard battery :eek:

GadgetRick said:
Different connectors differentiate them for the different companies.

The stock DJI batteries do have circuitry inside for charging/balancing as well as validation to the mainboard that its a valid battery...basically a charger built in to each battery.

The only manufacturer currently of non-DJI batteries that claim to work in a P2 is some random manufacturer in China who seems to be producing cheap knock-off clones of various DJI parts. However, it's not confirmed that even those will get you by the lock DJI built in to the batts and Phantom to prevent using anything but their own.

OI Photography said:
GadgetRick said:

The stock DJI batteries do have circuitry inside for charging/balancing as well as validation to the mainboard that its a valid battery...basically a charger built in to each battery.

The only manufacturer currently of non-DJI batteries that claim to work in a P2 is some random manufacturer in China who seems to be producing cheap knock-off clones of various DJI parts. However, it's not confirmed that even those will get you by the lock DJI built in to the batts and Phantom to prevent using anything but their own.
Thanks for the info. Definitely useful. :)

OI Photography said:
GadgetRick said:

There's a whole thread in Rc groups about using different batteries. It's the chip in the battery that validates the battery. So if you buy a after market battery good luck. Also dji had a firemware update that will lock out any aftermarket battery's .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers