Extend the Transmitter

Reaction score
so there has been lots of talk about extending the Wireless... any chatter about extending the Vision's Transmitter with a better antenna or something...

Searched couldn't find

THell said:
so there has been lots of talk about extending the Wireless... any chatter about extending the Vision's Transmitter with a better antenna or something...

Searched couldn't find

5.8ghz for flight is pretty much unheard of before the PV came along so there are no commercial extenders that I know of (others may help on that).

Potentially you could go the circular polarised antenna route rather than the linear antenna route. This improves range and stability of 5.8 for FPV a great deal. It 'could' work well for flight control too. HOWEVER.... this won't be as easy as it sounds as you would need to know the exact frequency the TX/RX is sending out and then match that with the correctly tuned antenna. You then have a bit of an unknown regards to what the FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrum) from the TX will do.... this is designed to swap between frequencies to avoid conflicts.

Be prepared for un predicatable results, lots of soldering and a sh1t load of research if you go that route. Personally I think it will work ok as my poorly tuned, poorly soldered FPV antenna improved signal a LOT.... however that is just for video.

To be honest if you are really serious about going further you would be far better served dumping the 5.8ghz Receiver and transmitter, doing without the Phone based items and turning the PV2 into a Phantom 2. Ideally do this with a Full Range 2.4ghz transmitter like a T8J or DX8i. When you start looking at this route though you may find it better to sell the PV2 as is and get a P2 RTF. The PV2 was designed for a fun and fairly short range 'out of the box' (yeah right) FPV flyer.

The use of wifi and smart phones might catch on into RC FPV but with 5.8ghz dual band wifi being more available it is more likely companies will stick with 2.4 for flight and look at 5.8 wifi for smartphone FPV. DJI likely didn't do this for the PV2 because only the newest iPhones/droid phones support 5.8 wifi so it would alienate too many users.

EDIT - i'd also advise PV based questions go in the PV forum.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4