Export Frame from Hero4 4K/25 - low quality?

Reaction score
Hi,

I apologize if this question is off topic for this forum, but it is - kind of - regarding editing.

When exporting a single frame from a 4K/25 videoclip (using FCP X) on the new GoPro Hero4 Black, the exported versions are a choice of a .PSD (108MB), or .TIFF (66MB), or .JPG (3.1MB). IQ does not look optimal or super impressive.

I was under the impression, that when shooting 4K, I should be able to export an 8MB size jpg from the clip (as stated by GoPro).

GoPro Hero4 Black
- vid settings (Pal), 4K, 25fps
- cam settings: 12MP

What am I doing wrong or missing here?

Thanks.

Exporting a frame from a video won't look as good as a picture taken with the same imager. And JPEG compression is variable and dependent on the complexity of the image. Using the same settings you can produce a 100Kb JPEG and a 4Mb JPEG.

Yeah, well apparently I mistakenly thought that a frame grab would also be a 8MB file, as it's a 3840x2160 frame. But it makes sense that it's only the cam that produces that big a file size and a screen grab is much smaller (lower IQ)

So, I switched to Camera mode.
Settings are: 12MP Wide, ProTune On, Single Shot.

But photos are still only 3-4 MB in file size. The Hero3 Black made a 4.2MB photo, while the Hero4 Black made a 3.5 MB photo?

Why am I not getting around 8MB file sizes for my photos?

You have to have the camera set at a certain video mode for it to take 12mp pictures I believe it's 1440 @24fps they have a chart that explains it any other mode the pics are lesser quality

I already mentioned it, but JPEG file sizes vary based on content as well as compression settings. At the same resolution and quality level, a JPEG of a white wall in diffused light will be very small vs. a JPEG of rippling water or leaves on a tree.

Yes, you're right.

I just thought the file size would be much higher from the 12MP photo. Unfortunately the Image Quality is not as impressive (or not impressive at all) compared to the video quality.

This chart show what I was talking about [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1413635859242.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413635859242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413635859242.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 399

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic