Experience with H3-3D

Reaction score
Hello guys, for those that saw the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14235 I've outed myself as a P2 owner as well as a Vision (and F450 when we've built it).

But I just thought I'd share my experience with the H3-3D side of things. I installed it with the stock factory-fitted dampers, updated it via Assistant 3.0 before flying it, and I'm running an iOSD, AVL58 AV tx and a DJI FPV hub to tie it all together. I'm running with fresh out the box props and I haven't done anything in terms of tweaks or mods except calibrate the 7th channel lever.

Early days yet but my initial impressions are:

Wow;
Smooth as butter;
Faultless so far (4/5 flights now);
Yaw right shows can-bus in shot unless you're gentle, yaw left is clean;
Props in shot need managing with judicious use of tilt;
Straight down shots show bits of left skid unless you are in flat calm, and even then it appears now and again;

It's early days but so far I'm really impressed. I'll continue to see how it goes but it's behaving beautifully. Also it didn;t come with the anti-interference board so I don't have one fitted (one is on its way to me, though). I didn't notice either jello or interference on the screen via the AVL58 so not sure I'll bother to put it in.

I put together some clips (no post production) with a mix of high- and low-energy maneouvres, crane-type shots, hovers, etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xj_NgluNA[/youtube]

[quote
Props in shot need managing with judicious use of tilt;
Straight down shots show bits of left skid unless you are in flat calm, and even then it appears now and again
quote]

Just curious, what field of view setting are you using. If you change to "narrow", do you still get the landing gear and props in the shot?

Which damping rubbers were you using I had my first flight with the H3-2D on my P2 today and all my video has really bad jello, I am using the white dampers as they were the ones that were on the gimbal but I used the black ones on my H3-2D gimbal, I will switch and see if it makes any difference.

:( pretty disappointed so far it also seems to make a lot of high pitched buzzing, I see others are noting the same thing, I actually wonder if it is a high frequency vibration in the gimbal that is causing the jello.

Going back to the 2D for now.

3 flights now. No jello in any of the videos

first @ 1080p/60 last 2 @ 4K, Wide FOV

white dampers on the gimbal. image is rock steady. props visible as is left landing strut (especially in dynamic moves).

I'd like to slow down the transition of the pitch movement for the gimbal from front facing to facing down and vice-versa. So I guess I have to look at some of the gains on the gimbal itself?

Stock P2 (latest version with the hole pre cut in the base). No FPV setup yet (looking at choices). Recommendations welcome.

Only negative would like to be able to change settings from the ground (as per my P2V) but other than that, for me the imagery is superior (I can't comment on P2V+ as I don't have one).

I did have a problem with the m2 motor (pulsing on idle). No debate, no quiz. It was just replaced under warranty by my dealer within a day of notifying them. Great service by them.

Safe skies.

Bmews

BMEWS said:
I'd like to slow down the transition of the pitch movement for the gimbal from front facing to facing down and vice-versa. So I guess I have to look at some of the gains on the gimbal itself?

Yep, via Phantom Assistant. I set mine to -3. It looks really slow when you watch it on the tabletop, but when shooting it's great. I fact I'm going to knock it back to -2 and see how that works tomorrow.

markab said:
Which damping rubbers were you using I had my first flight with the H3-2D on my P2 today and all my video has really bad jello, I am using the white dampers as they were the ones that were on the gimbal but I used the black ones on my H3-2D gimbal, I will switch and see if it makes any difference.

Everything stock as it came, so the white pre-fitted ones.

Peter Evans said:
Yep, via Phantom Assistant. I set mine to -3. It looks really slow when you watch it, but when shooting it's great. I fact I'm going to know it back to -2 and see how that works tomorrow.

Cheers Peter, i'll give that a go.

Bmews

Fitted the black dampers and will try again today. Also I notice the gimbal makes the frequency vibration most when the gimbal is fully up (camera forward) if I tilt it down 1 degree it seems to stop, maybe a slight balance issue on the yaw motor shaft? it is definitely the yaw motor making the noise.

Also double checked I had the add-on board connected the right way around, it was anyway but don't get why they didn't label the thing.

Anyway off to test.

BMEWS said:
Peter Evans said:
Yep, via Phantom Assistant. I set mine to -3. It looks really slow when you watch it, but when shooting it's great. I fact I'm going to know it back to -2 and see how that works tomorrow.

Cheers Peter, i'll give that a go.

Bmews

Actually I mistyped that. I should have said, "via Phantom Assistant. I set mine to 3. It looks really slow when you watch it on the tabletop, but when shooting it's great. I fact I'm going to knock it back to 2 and see how that works tomorrow."

There is no minus setting in the 'Tilt Control Gain' sorry - I was writing from memory. The Plus and minus settings apply to the Vertical and Horizontal limit adjustments

Well no dice, black dampers have as much Jello as white, emailed DJI with the problems :(

markab said:
Well no dice, black dampers have as much Jello as white, emailed DJI with the problems :(

That's a shame. What bad luck.

I went for my first video flight yesterday evening and, although I was concerned about my fat plastic washers, I didn't get a trace of jello (using white rubber mounts). I was amazed how steady it was,

So, tricky conditions today which proved useful for a test flight.

Surface winds (measured with anemometer): average 14-16mph with gusts >22mph. GoPro Hero 3 Silver; 1080p/24, medium FOV. No post-processing, edited clips straight from the camera.

Great test of the H3-3D gimbal mounted to the DJI Phantom 2. A mixture of hovering and tracking shots in a stiff breeze. I left the audio as recorded from the camera as in several shots you can barely hear the props over the noise of the wind over the mic, and you can hear the aircraft working hard to hold station. The stability in these tricky conditions was remarkable as you'll see from the way the trees are blowing about. I was getting mild jello when trying to travel upwind at anything other than a very slow pace, but as I was at 70 metres or more for most of the time then winds aloft were going to be very strong and gusty. That's the first jello I've seen from this outfit and it took conditions I probably wouldn't shoot in if I wasn't testing, to be honest. The effect was only noticeable travelling upwind. Downwind tracking or hovering in any orientation was great. Still all stock as it arrived in the box, white dampers. The H3-3D continues to impress...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgsS4QcSNpU[/youtube]

Very nice video Simon. Shows what the H3-3D is capable of. A little jello but considering the conditions not bad.

Tahoe Ed said:
A little jello but considering the conditions not bad.

Considering the favorable lighting conditions(overcast), the jello will be much worse given the same wind in sunlight.

You can fly jello-free in stronger and more gusty winds, in sunlight, if you use a ND filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers