Experience during the winter with Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have good experience during winter with Phantom. I saw that is recommended to fly from -10°C ~ 50°C, but does anyone have experience to fly for example in other conditions ( -20°C)?

Regards,
Elvir

Since no one is answering I'll share what little I know.

Lipos are quite temperature sensitive so it is recommended to keep them in a warm place and swap out only when ready to fly. Be aware flight time will be shortened...so don't fly way out there expecting your usual flight time. You might be caught short.

I have seen some videos on Youtube of what was obviously winter flying with snow on the ground. So it CAN be done...for the diehard.

The compass is moisture sensitive so landing plop in some snow might lead to trouble.

Let us know how it works out!

I've flown my P2V in 20-25°F temps several times already (all good experiences)... there was nothing abnormal to note, however, it was just friggin cold! To Peter's point, your flight time will be shortened - but that's expected from lipo batteries or any other battery at that operating in colder temperatures. Be sure the batteries of any other devices you're using during flight are fully charged as well. That is key.

I wouldn't recommend flying in below 14°F or -10°C per the operating conditions of the NAZA. But then again, perhaps you could, as long as the system is warm and ready.

Anyone else have experiences flying your P1 or P2V in extremely cold weather? Pros, Cons?

Thank you for your advices, I will try these days and let you know how was with my first winter fly ;)

Elvir

It was 15 to 20 deg today in Missouri, I took my phantom up 3 times precision flying, with great results (except pilot failure my hands got cold). I do not fly in gloves so its my own vex.

I cannot comment on flight time as these are new packs, seemed great.

Gps lock ATTi almost seems more stable in crisp temps it may be a better GPS lock or just the lack of air density due to no humidity on the props.

All in all very stable, I would not stray away from it. Just don't crash I would be willing to bet things are more brittle. I did not test that for you...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.