Expensive joke

Reaction score
The following is far from what i understand.
Done the latest updates.
All was fine and then i've seen in some threat that it was also advisable to do a advanced IMU calibration.
So i did. That went good but i noticed that i had issues with the satellites.
I know that day or nighttime makes a difference so i waited till dusk.
Fired up and 8 sats. On its way out i had no issue's but decided to initiate RTH.
It came back and toke over control, some 300m away the sats were dropping below 6 because i could notice it was going into ATTI.
I tried to compensate but it all went erratic.
I got a " hight limit warning ". It was only 50m up and the limit is set to 500m.
It went full force forward and descending ( in the wrong direction ) and there was nothing i could do.
I gave full throttle up because it was on a course with destiny crash.
It didn't respond, after 5 sec it stopped and turned 90degrees and it went back in the previous mode ( full force forwards and descending ).
Again i only gave full throttle up but it just ended on a neighbors shack but was caught by a huge shrubbery that had his branches hanging over that shack.
The extended landing gear i made broke of and it protected the bird because it toke the initial impact ( what a bang ! ).
My suspicion is that the software had a hiccup and went tilt.
Status of the bird.

One broken prop.
Ripped of home made landing gear.
Lucky my neighbor who came home from work and was interested in the bird also got more he bargained for. He witnessed the expensive joke going out of control.
Maybe someone else toke over control but it doesn't explain that sudden hight limit reached warning that i caught with my eyes.

I only want something thats reliable, not something that can kill a person because that can be if someone get that expensive joke against there head. I know coincidence doesn't exist, i'm not going to be happy if i have to pay that price.
Ow and don't be sorry pls, **** happens. I repeat " Ow and don't be sorry pls, **** happens "

I suspect that more practice (closer than 300m) and learning how the Phantom works might be what is required.
There are quite a few clues in your post indicating that you don't have a deep understanding of Phantom flight.
Like this for example ...
" i had issues with the satellites. I know that day or nighttime makes a difference so i waited till dusk."
GPS satellites are there all the time. Their positions in the sky may vary but they don't go to sleep during the day.

The Phantom is reliable but it needs a reliable operator who understands how to fly it. The manual is a good place to start.

Meta4 said:
I suspect that more practice (closer than 300m) and learning how the Phantom works might be what is required.
There are quite a few clues in your post indicating that you don't have a deep understanding of Phantom flight.
" i had issues with the satellites. I know that day or nighttime makes a difference so i waited till dusk."
GPS satellites are there all the time. Their positions in the sky may vary but they don't go to sleep during the day.

The Phantom is reliable but it needs a reliable operator who understands how to fly it. The manual is a good place to start.

LMAO

Meta4 said:

Whooooooow :shock:

Meta4 said:

Eeeek.... :|

Meta4 said:

Ok crawled back into the chair after i fell out of it.
Maybe, maybe not. I am not pretending i am GOD.
What i can say is that i navigate under, between tree's and regularly fly in ATTI mode.
Have wrecked several helicopters and other cheap quad-copters before the V+.
I've been in narrow gorges during my holiday ( mounth ago with the V+ ) so satellites aren't even an option in that situation.
I'm holding a HAM radio license since 1994 and i did experiment with ATV and moon bouncing back in the days.
My callsign is ON4BDJ, just google that !
So fellow human being before you judge and convict me, get real pls. I don't have anything from your comment expect a feeling that you are trying to get me a bad feeling and i will not come down on that level so you can beat me with experience.
Its everything except constructive what you're writing, and thats not the purpose of a forum.

Greetings
ON4BDJ

Meta4 said:

+100 (lol)

Maybe it could have been something with the extended landing gear you built that made the Phantom out of balance?

WebMaximus said:
Maybe it could have been something with the extended landing gear you built that made the Phantom out of balance?

plus 1.
They say to compass dance if you move the compass. The magnetic tip of the screw driver to remove the compass can also affect reasons. You mentioned you did calibration. Did you take note of the compass mod values?

so the OP innitiated RTH, then noticed it going into ATTI mode from the flight characteristics, did they then flick S1 into ATTI mode or just leave the switch in failsafe and the wonder why no control????

PVFlyer said:
Just curious, did you ever install/use any aftermarket app related to P2V+?

Yep, yours.

Mako79 said:
WebMaximus said:

plus 1.
They say to compass dance if you move the compass. The magnetic tip of the screw driver to remove the compass can also affect reasons. You mentioned you did calibration. Did you take note of the compass mod values?

@WebMaximus.
Not out of balance i guess, but i changed the initial carbon made one ( from a arrow ). Carbon isn't magnetic but will conduct electricity and with the exterior antenna's it could be a issue.
Therefore i changed to glass fiber ones. And they protected the gimbal on impact because it was shredded completely.
Anyway its something i include into the investigation on why i have satellite issue's since a week.
Have to solve that first.

@Mako79
Its around 1280 and i did check after the crash yesterday and was still on the same.
After sleeping over it a night my suspicion goes to the GPS unit were it was bordering lock and no lock going into GPS and ATTI on a narrow timespan making the software freak out.

Its almost repaired and shall look into the lately developed satellite issue first without the gimbal. Have to figure out how to get the telemetry on the app. I know its done by mounting the gimbals baseplate. Taking off the gimbal and flat cable from that baseplate is a option that i'm doing next.
Anyway i am not the only one that has satellite issue's in the EU recently. A experienced flier also in the EU has also issue's all of the sudden.

PVFlyer said:
ToThePoint said:
PVFlyer said:
Just curious, did you ever install/use any aftermarket app related to P2V+?

Yep, yours.
(1) which platform iOS or Android and (2) which version of our booster app are you using?

Its android and i bought it 1,5 months ago, checked build#1.0 but it has run fine, never any issue with it.

After testing today i found the culprit.

As i knew there was a issue i double checked everything under a micro scoop.
First startup, 6/7 sats and all seemed fine.
Started up the motors and it dropped to 5/6 ( were did i hear that ? ).
Interference ? Never had a issue with that.
It was on/off on the sats lock.
It stayed in place for some 2 min and began to drift away.
Sats 4/5 sometimes 3.
I let it hover and drift away, compensating if it went to far for my convenience. It got a lock again with 6 sats and to my surprise it didn't go back the the place it last had a lock ( was hovering ) but began to drift even harder to. Moved it back and even i had 6/7 sats it wouldn't stay put.
My suspicion was upon the GPS module. But i never have seen that before. GPS mode was so unreliable it was even dangerous to use it.
Emptied that battery ( bought that 2 weeks ago ) and had 8 sats when i landed.
Maybe that new battery brought interference to the game.
Second battery on startup i had 11 sats right away. I had 6 sats + even before the wifi was online.
Could it be that it was that battery after all ?
After 30 sec the sats droppen from 11 to 4 ( Thats never seen )
And that cat & mouse began all over. With the bird doing very dangerous move when it got back a lock.
Half that battery i knew enough and emptied it in ATTI.
Ow during the testing the battery of the transmitter went dead, warning beeps and red light. As it was in the field some 50m away i decided to land there and replace that battery, i did shut the motors.
Whilst i was putting in the charged cattery's it toke off by itself because it was returning home. Luck i can change battery's fast so before it was 5m up i had it back in control.
When i came home i toke the bird apart again and my investigation was focused on the GPS module.
And what did i find ? A broken connection due to vibration.
For that module they use special screws, they hold the PCB in place. The plastic were these screws go into are a bit higher that the thickness of the PCB leaving some vibrational playroom.
I could repair it and test it again. it was back as it had never been away.
On the final install i did manage to kill that module ( i am a dead terrorist in case you didn't know! ) and now i have a beven a bigger issue.
Buy a new GPS module or V+ and have spare parts.
Or does someone know it i can replace the GPS with one that supports also GLONASS ?

This was indeed a expensive joke. I knew it.

New sat module installed, issue's solved.
The limping bird has risen from the death and shall be a beast ones more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.