Expected range of wifi connection

Reaction score
I have found my wifi to the phone app loses connection at about at 400 foot distance from me. The P2V can still fly back to me as the connection to fly it still works though. Is this a little short or are others finding a similar issue. I have tried the wifi range extender in a few positions but find the same results.

I also noticed in a DJI video that the iPhone was set in airplane mode. Is that a common practice for the iPhone before flight?

thanks,

I cannot comment on an iPhone but on Android it does not seem to matter whether you are in airplane mode or not. I suspect it was enabled in the DJI video to prevent unwanted phone calls during the filming. I get more than 400 feet with an unmodified PV2 and the stock extender so something is not right. I am not absolutely certain which face of the extender is supposed to be pointed at the aircraft - is it one with the largest surface area (top) ?

I can get 1300 ft if there is no interference like trees or buildings in the way.

I think it varies quite a lot. Apparently, the transmit power varies somewhat too. Of the two data point i have seen, the camera output is 79mW or 126mW. I also think it depends a lot on the area you are in. How much wifi traffic you have. I upgraded to 8dbi omni on the repeater and i still only get about 600-700 feet.

Moose said:
How about turning that screw on the back of the controller next to the battery compartment? Will that help?

Moose
Nope - that's for the 5.8 GHz flight-control signal. Doesn't affect the Wi-Fi at all.

Where you are flying makes all the difference regarding range. Flying by my house the max range I got with stock setup was around 800 feet or so. At the local park which still has its fair share of wifi interference I could go a little over 1000 feet on stock setup. With WiFi repeater mod using 8dbi omni I can reliably do over 1,000 feet in my area with 1,300 foot max for the spot I usually stand. Tho a few blocks away I got up to 1,800 feet away. At the park I've now gotten a 2,500 foot absolute max with it being pretty reliable to approx 1,700 feet give or take. So moral of the story is location location location. And repeater mod is a great help. Also flying clean line of sight is very important too.

Does orientation of the repeater make a difference? Should the large flat side be looking straight out or straight up? How does one modify these with 8dbi omni?

thanks,

jmcnally said:
Does orientation of the repeater make a difference? Should the large flat side be looking straight out or straight up? How does one modify these with 8dbi omni?

Yes, for best performance, the repeater's large flat surface should be pointing (unobstructed) at the P2V.

Anyone know where to find a large size skew planer or helical style 2.4ghz antenna? I did a dual omni directional antenna upgrade on the camera but find I can get somewhat better distance but its not as reliable as using the stock antenna mainly at closer ranges under 900 feet.

jmcnally said:
I have found my wifi to the phone app loses connection at about at 400 foot distance from me. The P2V can still fly back to me as the connection to fly it still works though. Is this a little short or are others finding a similar issue. I have tried the wifi range extender in a few positions but find the same results.

I also noticed in a DJI video that the iPhone was set in airplane mode. Is that a common practice for the iPhone before flight?

thanks,

Yeah JMC mine has exact same issue. I did a test for altitude & lost wifi at 230' alt & only 100' away...
I bought a TP-link ANT-2414A with the connectors & a tripod, just have not set it up yet.
Moose

I always forget to test this but does changing the FPV resolution quality in the app settings extend range at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20