Existing DJI customers

Reaction score
Feel totally shafted £699 for a P3 advanced.(DJI.com) I paid £899 a few months back. So DJI are limiting more & more where we can fly and single handily decreasing the residual value of their product. Give it another 6 months and the product will be worthless & unusable. If its a 10 year anniversary sale why don't they allow their existing customer base celebrate it by reducing the price of batteries & accessories also.

Obviously very little thought was given to customers who had made a significant investment prior to their anniversary.

Feel totally shafted £699 for a P3 advanced.(DJI.com) I paid £899 a few months back. So DJI are limiting more & more where we can fly and single handily decreasing the residual value of their product. Give it another 6 months and the product will be worthless & unusable. If its a 10 year anniversary sale why don't they allow their existing customer base celebrate it by reducing the price of batteries & accessories also.

Obviously very little thought was given to customers who had made a significant investment prior to their anniversary.

Their chinese what do you expect.

You agreed into the contract of free will and that's the way all technology does.
Would you pay 300 for an iPhone 4? Me neither.
Be happy, have fun and fly safe!
Life is too short to worry about what was.

An iPhone 4 doesn't appreciate in value as quick as one of these things,my point was it would be nice if they acknowledged their existing customer base with their anniversary sale i don't need to buy another phantom although i may well need a few extra batteries or a case or something.

love my phantom

Reactions: crane-man

Come on GT, you should know that as any product ages it decreases in price. Particularly with tech - look at flat screen TVs, in car sat nav, tablets.....In fact almost anything. As an early adopter you have the benefit of having the product early doors but you always have to pay more for that privilege. I agree with you on Geo though, it's a travesty (if it actually happens).

Come on GT, you should know that as any product ages it decreases in price. Particularly with tech - look at flat screen TVs, in car sat nav, tablets.....In fact almost anything. As an early adopter you have the benefit of having the product early doors but you always have to pay more for that privilege. I agree with you on Geo though, it's a travesty (if it actually happens).

Hasn't happened here yet but I'm sure its on the way but as a responsible pilot nothing to worry about. Understand about technology and i love my tech but a little offer from DJI for existing customers could build real loyalty, just imagine if you had bought one of these for christmas :(

Reactions: Wacker2611
So DJI are limiting more & more where we can fly

Not sure how you figure that... their GEO solution will actually put more responsibility and self-service authorization for what today are restricted areas (i.e. within range of airports)... today you can't even start the motors when nearby, with GEO you'll be able to after submission of the online request.

The altitude restriction is for some acknowledgement of where manned air traffic exists (come on, isn't 500m high enough for our P3?)...

In my view, it's the national and local governments who are restricting our abilities more than DJI...

Not sure how you figure that... their GEO solution will actually put more responsibility and self-service authorization for what today are restricted areas (i.e. within range of airports)... today you can't even start the motors when nearby, with GEO you'll be able to after submission of the online request.

The altitude restriction is for some acknowledgement of where manned air traffic exists (come on, isn't 500m high enough for our P3?)...

In my view, it's the national and local governments who are restricting our abilities more than DJI...

All for self regulation and being responsible. but surely the further they drive the price down the more accessible it becomes to the irresponsible. i don't fly mine over 400 feet and always keep within line of site

That's simply not true. Like thousands of others, I can currently fly without restriction in my local area, as long as I don't go above 500 metres and I don't attempt a take off from the end of the runway of my local airport. If it goes ahead in its current form I will have to gain authorisation every 3 days just to take off from my own back yard, and I live 4.5 miles away from my local airport. You still won't be able to take off at all (quite rightly) within a mile or so of any functioning airport, so that hadn't changed. It's got nothing to do with National or Local
Government - its corporate arse
covering.

I wish their was more self regulation, it's not like they put in speed limiters into cars, just because the top speed is x amount in a country. It's strange that because of the small group, they can enforce certain rules. The US is a funny one, currently it's easier to purchase a firearm than to fly a drone in certain areas. That's strange to me.

Reactions: Phantom George
That's simply not true. Like thousands of others, I can currently fly without restriction in my local area, as long as I don't go above 500 metres and I don't attempt a take off from the end of the runway of my local airport. If it goes ahead in its current form I will have to gain authorisation every 3 days just to take off from my own back yard, and I live 4.5 miles away from my local airport. You still won't be able to take off at all (quite rightly) within a mile or so of any functioning airport, so that hadn't changed. It's got nothing to do with National or Local
Government - its corporate arse
covering.

CAA guidelines !!! 400 feet height limit. I have a regional airport 1.1 mile as the crow flies from my back yard no restrictions !!. light aircraft flying in and out all day everyday. Being responsible i went to the airport and told them i would be flying the Phantom over the 9 acres of open fields to the back of my property. After a discussion with them we agreed a safe altitude for me to fly was 80ft or less this would affect no aircraft. I have since had requests from pilots to film their decent into the airport & have a great rep ore with them. Communication is everything not everybody is anti drone.

we are all in the same boat.
weather we bought a Phantom.
Inapire.
Solo.
or what ever you bought.

You still won't be able to take off at all (quite rightly) within a mile or so of any functioning airport, so that hadn't changed

Have you actually reviewed their GEO system?.... DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

I also live within 5 miles of an airport and would have to request authorization as well, I'm ok with that since it takes like 10 seconds but allows me to fly ANYWHERE within that warning area including right at the airport itself if I needed to for some reason... today, you can't really do that at all.

It's got nothing to do with National or Local
Government - its corporate arse covering.

What I meant was that many city and town governments are establishing laws and regulations about drone operation that are far more restrictive than anything DJI might be doing - typically in response to the few pilots who have demonstrated they can't be responsible. If you were gonna be held potentially liable for the stupid things people are doing with their drones, you'd probably want to at least establish restraints that could reduce your exposure wouldn't you?... If I don't like their constraints, I can buy from many other vendors instead.. or build my own...

Have you actually reviewed their GEO system?.... DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Yes I have, in detail.

I also live within 5 miles of an airport and would have to request authorization as well, I'm ok with that since it takes like 10 seconds but allows me to fly ANYWHERE within that warning area including right at the airport itself if I needed to for some reason... today, you can't really do that at all.

What I meant was that many city and town governments are establishing laws and regulations about drone operation that are far more restrictive than anything DJI might be doing - typically in response to the few pilots who have demonstrated they can't be responsible. If you were gonna be held potentially liable for the stupid things people are doing with their drones, you'd probably want to at least establish restraints that could reduce your exposure wouldn't you?... If I don't like their constraints, I can buy from many other vendors instead.. or build my own...

Then you should already know that for YELLOW areas, once you self-authorize, your statement
You still won't be able to take off at all (quite rightly) within a mile or so of any functioning airport, so that hadn't changed
is incorrect... according to the GEO system, you will be able to take off from anywhere within the YELLOW area once self-authorized.

Regardless, it's not a bad system for them to establish... does it give you 100% freedom to do whatever you **** well please whenever you **** well like and wherever you **** well want?.. no... that freedom is only available to you inside your residence where there's no chance of you affecting anybody else.... I'm not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread and I don't like having somebody else impose restrictions on me either.... but that's the way the world works sometimes and if I don't like it, I have other options but I'm not gonna beat up DJI about it.... I can vote with my pocketbook if desired.

Reactions: Phantom George
Difference of opinion that's all. I feel it's squeezing the joy out of my harmless past time. I've got enough to worry about as it is, without having to self authorise twice a week just to fly from my back garden, miles and miles away from the airport. Over and out.

If the cost of the drone increase would it be fair for DJI to send you a bill for the difference?

Welcome to the real world where this is fair, normal and happens each and every day. It's called commerce. You can feel a little pain in that the price dropped (for a short time) but understand that you determined the price you paid was worth it to you at the time and you should have understood that price's drop on _all_ tech. I bought a P2V+ for around $1200 and a few months later it was worth about $700. It's not worth about $300 6 months after that. It's disappointing but I don't blame DJI.

These kind of things happens often doesn't it now? Buy X price this week only to find it drop Y next week of ANY product. Be it at restaurant (Today's Special) or grocery store (this week's special) or Apple product (just last week) for that matter.

It's few months, not like it's last week.

And yes, i read your respond regarding "acknowledging" other customer. It's like the Black Friday sales here. They only have the stuff I don't want at deep discount. How about acknowledging me as a customer and just let everyone pick an item at DEEP discount of their choosing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav