Existing Antenna Holes - No Drilling

Reaction score
I've been searching and searching. I've been doing so much research on this dbs antenna I recall seeing somewhere along my many searches that I saw a picture of an install where their external antenna connections were using the existing antenna holes on the controller. Does anyone have any advice on this? I'd prefer this method instead of punching holes in the controller.

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
Well I found the answer. Here are the SMA connectors needed. Watch the youtube video.

Controller Antenna Range Booster Refitting Kit F DJI Phantom 3 Pro&Adv Inspire 1

Downside is your looking at weeks for delivery. I can't believe no one else has discovered this cable; espeically the vendors selling these mods. This would totally eliminate drilling.

I'm hoping these can be sourced somewhere in the USA.
Is it an omni directional antenna? I wonder what the range is too.

I own your split pair of parabolic windsurfer range extenders, I'm a big fan. However in January when I'm outside the 6 month warranty I'll be making mods, hopefully installing SMA connectors using the stock antenna holes in the controller, that's my plan anyway. The ability to screw on other antennas while still fitting in my backpack is important to me. I've seen 7"and 18" omni directional screw-on folding antenna options, which seem interesting. Just think if there was a longer windsurfer made for those longer antennas? The problem I have with DBS and FPVLR antennas are the lack of storage portability in backpacks. They're kinda bulky, but I may try DBS, it seems like a cleaner setup, mounting-wise. Being flatter than FPVLR when uninstalled, it might fit in my new Fearless backpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
Well I found the answer. Here are the SMA connectors needed. Watch the youtube video.

Controller Antenna Range Booster Refitting Kit F DJI Phantom 3 Pro&Adv Inspire 1

Downside is your looking at weeks for delivery. I can't believe no one else has discovered this cable; espeically the vendors selling these mods. This would totally eliminate drilling.

I'm hoping these can be sourced somewhere in the USA.
That's a good find, thanks for sharing. Looks interesting, however those swivel antennas need a plastic slip-on skirt over the top to keep both antenna planes exactly parallel to maximize efficiency. That video shows exactly what I need for cabling to utilize the existing antenna holes. Simple enough.

I own your split pair of parabolic windsurfer range extenders, I'm a big fan. However in January when I'm outside the 6 month warranty I'll be making mods, hopefully installing SMA connectors using the stock antenna holes in the controller, that's my plan anyway. The ability to screw on other antennas while still fitting in my backpack is important to me. I've seen 7"and 18" omni directional screw-on folding antenna options, which seem interesting. Just think if there was a longer windsurfer made for those longer antennas? The problem I have with DBS and FPVLR antennas are the lack of storage portability in backpacks. They're kinda bulky, but I may try DBS, it seems like a cleaner setup, mounting-wise. Being flatter than FPVLR when uninstalled, it might fit in my new Fearless backpack.
I have the Fearless backpack and the DBS mod on my controller. The fearless has a deeper cutout extending from the controller slot into the P3 slot, allowing the DBS antenna to lay flat with the arms down alongside the controller. It does raise the flat side of the antenna 1/2" above the foam but it is flat and smooth so the padded cover fits right over and protects it no problem. It is very east to snap off the antenna and place it in the slot after storing the P3, you can even leave the cables on although I don't. Hope this helps.

I have ordered a couple sets of hard plastic snap in plugs for the antenna holes, hoping I will be able to center drill them large enough to accept the sma connector for the dbs antennas. As long as the center diameter is larger than the sma connector it should work, also can add a little silicone to the plug when reinstalling to firm it up. Don't know if it will work but I can't see spending $54 for a kit where I am only going to use the extended shank sma connectors.

I have ordered a couple sets of hard plastic snap in plugs for the antenna holes, hoping I will be able to center drill them large enough to accept the sma connector for the dbs antennas. As long as the center diameter is larger than the sma connector it should work, also can add a little silicone to the plug when reinstalling to firm it up. Don't know if it will work but I can't see spending $54 for a kit where I am only going to use the extended shank sma connectors.
Did you see this video on using the existing holes? It appears the SMA connector threads need to be longer than normal to reach through. I assume the plugs you bought simply plug the existing collar, which doesn't alleviate the need for longer SMA threads to reach through. I assume the DBS cabling won't work for that and you'll have to acquire special length cables that include extended length SMA threads to use the stock antenna holes. You would think DBS and FPVLR could provide similar cables to alleviate the need to drill holes in the controller shell. This appears to be an opportunity if a clever US vendor would fabricate these "existing antenna hole" cabling kits, along with a YouTube instruction video in English.

I have the Fearless backpack and the DBS mod on my controller. The fearless has a deeper cutout extending from the controller slot into the P3 slot, allowing the DBS antenna to lay flat with the arms down alongside the controller. It does raise the flat side of the antenna 1/2" above the foam but it is flat and smooth so the padded cover fits right over and protects it no problem. It is very east to snap off the antenna and place it in the slot after storing the P3, you can even leave the cables on although I don't. Hope this helps.
Hey, that's good to know, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the Fearless next week.

Did you see this video on using the existing holes? It appears the SMA connector threads need to be longer than normal to reach through. I assume the plugs you bought simply plug the existing collar, which doesn't alleviate the need for longer SMA threads to reach through. I assume the DBS cabling won't work for that and you'll have to acquire special length cables that include extended length SMA threads to use the stock antenna holes.
The sma connectors will mount in the hallow plug, not the hole, with the small connector shank inside the hallow plug and the wire passing thru the OEM antenna hole. As long as the inner hole diameter of the plug is large enough that is. If it will accommodate the shank but not the retaining nut I have extra sma connectors to try cementing the sma into the plug then inserting it in the antenna hole.

The sma connectors will mount in the hallow plug, not the hole, with the small connector shank inside the hallow plug and the wire passing thru the OEM antenna hole. As long as the inner hole diameter of the plug is large enough that is. If it will accommodate the shank but not the retaining nut I have extra sma connectors to try cementing the sma into the plug then inserting it in the antenna hole.
Oh, that's an interesting plan. So you won't have an interior SMA nut, right? You'll just snap the plug in with the SMA glued in the plug, right? Hope that works out. Do you think the DBS cables are long enough for that?

Oh, that's an interesting plan. So you won't have an interior SMA nut, right? You'll just snap the plug in with the SMA glued in the plug, right? Hope that works out. Do you think the DBS cables are long enough for that?
Yes, they are plenty long enough, as it will require the same amount of cable length, if I need more length I can cut 1" off of the outer DBS mount and then drill and relocate the spring to get more, with the added benefit of the antenna being 1" closer to the controller front. But that why I ordered several sets of plugs, experimenting.

curious as to which plugs you ordered specifically; do they have a snap in collar like the original antennas? I may want to experiment with this too.

Can anyone chime in on these extended shank sma cables and if they can be obtained anywhere else is the US?

Also did you look at this guy's website. He is doing this type of install for $250 but he doesn't give any detail as to how he does it. There are some good pictures to look at though.
He also says the internal sma pigtails he uses are of much higher quality (quad shield and are made of copper and silver). I'm wondering if he is using these extended shank sma cables that we're after? I emailed him about purchasing a set of sma pigtails that he uses for a DIY install but no response yet.

Radio Antenna Modification For Phantom 3 Radio (4+ Miles with No Boosters)

Also did you look at this guy's website. He is doing this type of install for $250 but he doesn't give any detail as to how he does it. There are some good pictures to look at though.
He also says the internal sma pigtails he uses are of much higher quality (quad shield and are made of copper and silver). I'm wondering if he is using these extended shank sma cables that we're after? I emailed him about purchasing a set of sma pigtails that he uses for a DIY install but no response yet.

I've emailed that guy in Florida 3 times in the last week, I've got no response. I think he's got what we want, but based on his website it appears he doesn't want to sell a DIY cable kit. He appears to be leveraging to get the conversion work at $250/job, something that takes about 30min to do and $10 worth of cables. That's not going to fly with most of us (pun intended). I could get these cables made with a Chinese cable maker if I had high res quality photos of the connectors needed on each end. Those guys in China have no MOQ requirement, and they make pretty good cables I found out. I've bought a few custom cables from China for the external FPVLR cable setup I needed for my Q500 with 2W amps, using 90 degree SMA connectors, and the quality looks excellent (see below). All it's going to take is someone here in the US to realize there's an opportunity lurking, and those cables can be made up very easily, no problem.
upload_2015-11-7_12-43-14.png

Last edited:
Reactions: F6Rider
Yep, that guy is crazy if he thinks I am going to pay $250 for that simple little mod. As for ordering the cables from China custom made that's a good idea. The cable ends are no problem as it is just a U.FL to SMA, just have to insure it is a long shank SMA connector. I might have to look into this if my other plan doesn't work out.

That is just what I meant so much better than drilling the case.

How convert RC Antenna to mounted externally with magnetic base , so that you sit inside the car to control your copter???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20