Excessive repair costs....?

Reaction score
About six weeks ago I bought my first bird - a P3S and, true to form for a beginner, i failed to set the rth height correctly, it clipped a tree and down it came through the branches resulting in the camera being torn off and damage to a mounting. Trying not to swear at my own stupidity, I drove to the DJI repair centre the next day and left the drone there for an estimate kidding myself that, perhaps, £100 would teach me a lesson and get me flying again - two days later I got a text message quoting £330!! When I recovered from the shock, I returned to collect my bird telling the very pleasant reception girl thanks but no thanks because, at that time, you could buy a new 'un for £360 and, at least, I would have an extra r/c, battery and loads of spare parts as well as a depleted bank account. Time past and I grew more proficient with my new purchase and enjoyed every minute of my new hobby and, occasionally, I would look at bird no.1 lying in a cupboard looking sorry for itself so I decided to have a go at repairing it. So, to cut a long story short, I spent some time looking at "repair" videos on Youtube, bought myself a set of small bits so I could get at the many screws and sent off for spare parts - mostly from China and Hong Kong for cheapness sake. Finally, after a few false starts, she flew again and, after several hours in the air, I can confirm she's as good as new. Now I know every concern must run at a profit and I know expertise doesn't come cheap and I realise I didn't have expensive test equipment to check every circuit......but £330 quid!? Oh, incidentally, the spares plus the tool kit came to a bit less than £20! Funny old world isn't it!

Was the quote for repair in the UK ?
Our local DJI dealer told me they hardly repair anything since its generally so much cheaper to send things back to DJI.
Anyway It gives you a geat sense of achievement when you successful repair it yourself. .

Was the quote for repair in the UK ?
Our local DJI dealer told me they hardly repair anything since its generally so much cheaper to send things back to DJI.
Anyway It gives you a geat sense of achievement when you successful repair it yourself. .
About six weeks ago I bought my first bird - a P3S and, true to form for a beginner, i failed to set the rth height correctly, it clipped a tree and down it came through the branches resulting in the camera being torn off and damage to a mounting. Trying not to swear at my own stupidity, I drove to the DJI repair centre the next day and left the drone there for an estimate kidding myself that, perhaps, £100 would teach me a lesson and get me flying again - two days later I got a text message quoting £330!! When I recovered from the shock, I returned to collect my bird telling the very pleasant reception girl thanks but no thanks because, at that time, you could buy a new 'un for £360 and, at least, I would have an extra r/c, battery and loads of spare parts as well as a depleted bank account. Time past and I grew more proficient with my new purchase and enjoyed every minute of my new hobby and, occasionally, I would look at bird no.1 lying in a cupboard looking sorry for itself so I decided to have a go at repairing it. So, to cut a long story short, I spent some time looking at "repair" videos on Youtube, bought myself a set of small bits so I could get at the many screws and sent off for spare parts - mostly from China and Hong Kong for cheapness sake. Finally, after a few false starts, she flew again and, after several hours in the air, I can confirm she's as good as new. Now I know every concern must run at a profit and I know expertise doesn't come cheap and I realise I didn't have expensive test equipment to check every circuit......but £330 quid!? Oh, incidentally, the spares plus the tool kit came to a bit less than £20! Funny old world isn't it!
Yes, it was the London DJI repair centre where they do the repairs on the premises. I must admit I do feel a bit smug and, overall, I was lucky that there was no internal damage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20