Everest base camp

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at a trek to Everest base camp just wondering if any one has used there phantom 4 at around 5500m-6000m also how does the battery life go in cold weather, and anything else I should know
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Santiego
I saw a video of a Phantom at Everest base camp. elev. 17k + feet, and it flew (not well) looks like a P2, P4 would do better. max elevation in DJI specs is 19685 feet. A friend of mine has treked there twice! Enjoy your trek.

Last edited:
Reactions: zacksomeone
Would there be anything different that you would need to do to fly at that alltitude, I read about beating your batteries

Going to Everest. Lucky man. I wish. That would be some badass footage.

You should start a thread so we can follow it.

Heating sorry

I have flown as low as -25*C warning free. I preheated the batteries to 20/25*C pre flight and had no issues or major cell deviation.

Very good cheers for the info, heading there in October so will post some updates

I assume they will release a heating for the phantom 4 batteries in the near future, is there any third party ones avalible?

I assume they will release a heating for the phantom 4 batteries in the near future, is there any third party ones avalible?

I used an electric therapeutic heating pad in an insulated box to keep them warm, others have used chemical hand warmers etc to accomplish the same. Best part about this method is it doesn't use the P4's battery power which is a valuable commodity when your flying in colder weather.

<edit>Although it would be nice to have a DJI heater also for the batteries as they work really well for the Inspire and Phantom3's

Last edited:
Reactions: MultiEraser
I saw a video of a Phantom at Everest base camp. elev. 17k + feet, and it flew (not well) looks like a P2, P4 would do better. max elevation in DJI specs is 19685 feet. A friend of mine has treked there twice! Enjoy your trek.
that is actually a P1

The best solution (besides warming the battery) would be for larger props with more pitch.... unfortunately not do-able on a Phantom.... unless there are higher pitched 9.4" I am unaware of. Many have used this correction at high altitudes on other quads...

Considering the conditions, it seems the Phantom handled it fairly well.

Now, a P4? Who knows, more power to the props etc. may be a small gain.

Either way, we're talking about the tallest mountain on planet earth.

Curious question that just entered my mind...Could DJI manufacture props for higher altitudes?

Hi I'm looking at a trek to Everest base camp just wondering if any one has used there phantom 4 at around 5500m-6000m also how does the battery life go in cold weather, and anything else I should know
Thanks in advance
Just so you know the Phantom 4 Specs say it can fly up to 6000 m above sea level so you should be good as long as you keep your batteries warm, keep your props from icing, and watch the voltage on the home screen (not just battery percent) Mt everest base camp is 5200 meters, so if you flew 500 meters in the air you would still be within the operable limits.

Reactions: Cale262
You will probably have to fly in atti or s mode, the air is thin and you will need high prop rpm to generate lift. Even if the rpm is high the load on the motors will be about the same as lower altitudes. X amount of energy to lift x amount of weight, gravity is constant.

You will probably have to fly in atti or s mode, the air is thin and you will need high prop rpm to generate lift. Even if the rpm is high the load on the motors will be about the same as lower altitudes. X amount of energy to lift x amount of weight, gravity is constant.
Speed is limited in PGPS mode with the Phantom 4 because of obstacle avoidance, motor rpm is not limited so the motors will spin faster in order to achieve the same speed. Angle of attack is limited though, I don't think flying at a 45 degree angle in sport mode in that thin air would be the best idea, the P4 could lose altitude while flying. I would stick to PGPS even if gps is unavailable just for the obstacle avoidance feature and I definitely wouldn't fly in Sport mode.

Of course you'll need to try all modes so you can report back to us your experiences.
Entering the modes form hover will not cause immediate unexpected operations until you input some commands.

Yesterday I flew in high winds (relative to the P4's ability) I could only fly 15mph into the wind in sport mode. I bet the P4's ability to fly in wind is diminished in the higher altitudes as well. Everest base camp has an altitude 4 times higher than where I live, I bet I wouldn't have even been able to maintain a hover had I been at 5200m asl

Of course you'll need to try all modes so you can report back to us your experiences.
Entering the modes form hover will not cause immediate unexpected operations until you input some commands.
It should be mentioned so he can expect that if he has gps signal and switches to Atti mode the P4 will drift with the wind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20