Ever wondered how well DJI's ND16 filter work?

Reaction score
What better way to test out the DJI ND 16 filter than to bring it to an island resort in the Maldives. The sun was high up in the sky and it was really bright! The soft white sand and crystal clear waters also make getting a correct exposure challenging.

Watch in 1080P!

Let me know what you think of the results!

Kurumba Resort, Maldives
Phantom 3 Professional
1080P @ 24fps
1/50s, ISO100
No grading of video was done.
Edited using imovie on my iphone 6 plus

Great footage. Would have been cool if you had some shots with and without the filter on, to compare it in the same light.

Good idea but the camera will automatically switch to a high shutter speed to adjust to the bright conditions if i switched to the UV filter. If i locked my shutter speed at 1/50s it would be expected that the scene will be much brighter, even washed out with the UV filter.

The ND filters arent used to see if the scene become darker or not. It is meant to highlight how having the correct exposure, you can have a much lower shutter speed. Thus when comparing ND filters, we should be looking at the movements of objects in the video, whether they look natural or too crisp. IMO it is wrong to look at just brightness per se.

Good idea but the camera will automatically switch to a high shutter speed to adjust to the bright conditions if i switched to the UV filter. If i locked my shutter speed at 1/50s it would be expected that the scene will be much brighter, even washed out with the UV filter.

The ND filters arent used to see if the scene become darker or not. It is meant to highlight how having the correct exposure, you can have a much lower shutter speed. Thus when comparing ND filters, we should be looking at the movements of objects in the video, whether they look natural or too crisp. IMO it is wrong to look at just brightness per se.

That's exactly what I wanted to compare :)

The video came out great. But you know what I'm really impressed with? This:

1/50s, ISO100
No grading of video was done.
Edited using imovie on my iphone 6 plus

First, I would not think that ND16 would be enough to get down to 1/50s in very bright area like this.

And second, I'm impressed you put together such a good video on a little Iphone screen. Great job on this.

The video came out great. But you know what I'm really impressed with? This:

First, I would not think that ND16 would be enough to get down to 1/50s in very bright area like this.

And second, I'm impressed you put together such a good video on a little Iphone screen. Great job on this.
I guess it helps that I have a photography background. Firstly you must always try to get the exposure and stuff right. Post processing can only do so much. And it also helps to have a plan of what you want to shoot and how you want the video to turn out.
I also shot a lot of scenes, so I had a lot of options to match certain scenes with music to make the video look more "right".

If I had to nitpick, I would say some parts of my video the exposure was slightly different due to changing light and cloud cover. And also some shots my gimbal was not straight due to high winds.

I'm currently waiting to get a new computer and software. When that happens, I'll have even more creative freedom!

Reactions: witold
I guess it helps that I have a photography background. Firstly you must always try to get the exposure and stuff right. Post processing can only do so much. And it also helps to have a plan of what you want to shoot and how you want the video to turn out.
I also shot a lot of scenes, so I had a lot of options to match certain scenes with music to make the video look more "right".

If I had to nitpick, I would say some parts of my video the exposure was slightly different due to changing light and cloud cover. And also some shots my gimbal was not straight due to high winds.

I'm currently waiting to get a new computer and software. When that happens, I'll have even more creative freedom!
I wonder how a circular polarizer would look?

I wonder how a circular polarizer would look?
It would be good to cut down on the reflection from the water and increase contrast. I do have gel filters from phantomfilters with me,(ND2,4,8,16 and polariser) but I didn't wanna stack them inside my nd16 filter. I've had bad experiences with stacking gels in a previous video. Hated the result.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4