Ever charge phantom batteries off an APC UPS?

Reaction score
I've been considering use of a APC brand UPS (700) as a means of charging phantom batteries when away from home. Thoughts were that I could be charging a battery while still flying out and about. Connect the AC chanrger to the battery backup side and let it go. I do have an invertor for car charging but do not want to leave my car idling unattended and for an hour and a half. If the APC can handle the power needs it might work. Has anyone else tried this?

I've been considering use of a APC brand UPS (700) as a means of charging phantom batteries when away from home. Thoughts were that I could be charging a battery while still flying out and about. Connect the AC chanrger to the battery backup side and let it go. I do have an invertor for car charging but do not want to leave my car idling unattended and for an hour and a half. If the APC can handle the power needs it might work. Has anyone else tried this?

Hope you good home owners or renters insurance because your idea of leave a charging battery is not a good idea.

Sure wouldn't want to live in the same building with you if you're a renter. :eek:

I didn't mean leaving it just taking it with me in field. Say in shade somewhere. Plug dji charger into apc and let it charge while I flay on battery 2. Hell for that matter you could plug the apc into your invertor in car while driving then it get an uninterrupted power source if you are changing sites.

Consider an automotive "jump pack."

A jump pack has more battery power than most UPSs and is designed to be portable and used often. A UPS is designed to sit in one place and provide backup power in rare cases.

Some jump packs have AC inverters built in. The one I have doesn't, but I used with a small inverter to recharge by P2V batteries once. And it is handy if you need to jump start your car.

I have two 100 amp batteries hooked up to a 1500W inverter in the tongue box of my trailer. The setup works well for keeping my batteries charged ... and for running a fan to help with the heat here in Florida!

-- Roger

Reactions: IflyinWY
Nice one jadebox. :D

I'm pleased you started the thread PLG. :)

I just happen to have a 1500 UPC sitting here, and a brand new charger and battery for a P1... So
I plugged the BC20-4 charger into my UPC to see just how much drain a 2200 mAh battery would be while charging at 1 amp. The wattage varied for the first minute from 9 to 18 then to 27.
After the first minute it settled in at 18 watts.

Now we all know.

I like the automotive jump pack idea better though. Hauling the UPC around would be a pain in the rear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20