Evasive descent maneuver from altitude question

Reaction score
I noticed a small airplane and helicopter fly over my house today at what looked to be below the recommended FAA floor of 1000 ft for highly populated areas. If I had to guess I'd say they were close to 500 ft.

Here is the theoretical scenario:

Let's say I'm up around 400 ft messing around and I see another aircraft flying in the general direction of my craft and need to descend rapidly by going all the way down on the control stick, which I think equates to 5% power

Questions:

Will the P2V lose control in a 5% throttle evasive descent maneuver or will it control itself and remain level (props up) on the way down?

If I pull up in time (say 100 ft) and move in a direction to get out of the prop wash will I be able to recover?

I've never pushed a rapid descent from high altitude and am just trying to be prepared for everything. Thanks!

Descending takes practice. If you maintain forward motion you can bring it down very quick indeed. Descending straight down is very high risk due to vortex ring effect driving you into the ground.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Descending takes practice. If you maintain forward motion you can bring it down very quick indeed. Descending straight down is very high risk due to vortex ring effect driving you into the ground.

+1

I'd just suggest practicing (and practicing and practicing) descending on a slope, which will allow faster descent rate while avoiding a lot of the dangerous aerodynamic side-effects of coming straight down. You can also try coming down in a loose spiral, but I've been having better luck with getting good at slides.

Bringing my P2V down from 800 meters definitely took a lot of 5% throttle. I was weary at first thinking it would cut out the motors holding it for too long but as confidence grew it performed perfectly. I would recommend you move the crafts ground position while descending

i bring mine down full throttle down all the time it just bounces around a lot on video. you can see in every one of my phantom videos how jittery it gets. then at 100 feet or so just let off and it falls another 25 feet or so while stabilizing and then come down slower

https://www.youtube.com/user/wingzerothree

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj