EU/FCC: Is there some hack to get the EU version to transmit with FCC power?

Reaction score
Hi! I live in Norway, and thus have the EU-standard power level, and I am pretty sad about the limited range I have on my drone. With the "ARGtek range extender" (ebay it), I get just about 500 meters (this is an inhabited area, so there are probably quite a bit of interference - haven't tried yet in unpopulated areas).

It is quite annoying that the power is severely limited by design, and I wonder whether anyone knows of a way to get the kit to run at FCC power levels. I kinda expected a firmware hack to have showed up by now, but I have not found anything.

There is no such hack.

Hi! I live in Norway, and thus have the EU-standard power level, and I am pretty sad about the limited range I have on my drone. With the "ARGtek range extender" (ebay it), I get just about 500 meters (this is an inhabited area, so there are probably quite a bit of interference - haven't tried yet in unpopulated areas).

It is quite annoying that the power is severely limited by design, and I wonder whether anyone knows of a way to get the kit to run at FCC power levels. I kinda expected a firmware hack to have showed up by now, but I have not found anything.

The GPS determines if you're Under FCC or EU regulation.
The resulting signal is applied to the transmitter's RF amplifier through a power switch.
Low voltage supply for EU compliance, higher for FCC.
It should be easy to set and maintain the power supply to its "FCC" state.
The hack should apply to both aircraft and remote, as the link is bi-directional.
Hoping my thoughts won't ban me for providing clues...

Folks have tried for years to hack the firmware for this and other purposes with no luck. Best look to improve your antenna systems rather than hope for a hack of some type.

Edit/Add: There's no indication in the FCC data to suggest there is any adjustment to the aircraft transmitter based on global region.

Last edited:
Hi i fly in EU in CE mode my best range was 400m in open field and week ago i bought a litchi app i dont know what happened but now i got 1450m in the same spot cant explain this but it makes me very happy :D

Transmitter power on both aircraft and RC is controlled by respective firmwares. As of now, there are no tools nor documents explaining structure and function of each firmware, not to mention any hacks.

There is, however, a document explaining how to read the .bin files containing firmware catalogue. It is easy to make a simple tool to extract separate firmwares based on this data.
The document is available on github - search for dji-related projects and you will find it. It was originally used to proove the use of GPL-licensed software by DJI (or its partners).
Some of the firmwares inside are encrypted, some are not. There's a total of 17 different firmwares in most updates released by DJI.

Are You blind?

Wow, this is great!

Also, if instead of FTP we can connect via SSH, then it is possible to do a lot more!
And since the transmitter seem to be visible as standard wlan interface, it is possible to do one-time-try on the power change (meaning the change will not modify any files and wont persist after power down), ie:
"iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2400"
The value 2400 means 24 dbm, which equals 250 mW - it is likely the maximum power supported (but that really depends on the hardware used, I am guessing here).

Wow, this is great!

Also, if instead of FTP we can connect via SSH, then it is possible to do a lot more!
And since the transmitter seem to be visible as standard wlan interface, it is possible to do one-time-try on the power change (meaning the change will not modify any files and wont persist after power down), ie:
"iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2400"
The value 2400 means 24 dbm, which equals 250 mW - it is likely the maximum power supported (but that really depends on the hardware used, I am guessing here).

You need to read the full thread as I believe all of your questions have been answered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic