Ethical Question

Reaction score
Forget for a second about the financial aspect of losing your Phantom setup.

If your Phantom was able to autonomously fly to waypoints far BVR, would you? I'm talking about getting it all set up in Ground Station, pushing GO, and letting the thing fly out of sight over a populated area for 15 minutes (roundtrip). It's one thing to have FPV where you can at least see where it's headed, but to just use waypoints and set the thing on it's way, go inside and have a sandwich, and come back in time to see it land... I don't know. Should you?

How is this an ethical dilemma? Either you have confidence in your gear and abilities, or you do not. Either you have considered all technology and failsafes, or you have not.

I think what you are implying is should somebody break a rule to fly with or without fpv if there are certifications required... and that is a personal ethic and moral- not a social one.

re: Time and Place for Everything

Yes.

However, I would think 99.99 percent of the time, allowing a relatively cheap airframe to fly below 400 feet (that's the rules) over a populated area without direct control would be a bad idea. If it crashed, it would be more than an ethical question - it would make headlines and it would become a legal issue.

And what's the point of that?
If you're automating it for some sort of important task, you shouldn't be using Phantoms...

Eos630 said:

If your Phantom was able to autonomously fly to waypoints far BVR, would you? I'm talking about getting it all set up in Ground Station, pushing GO, and letting the thing fly out of sight over a populated area for 15 minutes (roundtrip). It's one thing to have FPV where you can at least see where it's headed, but to just use waypoints and set the thing on it's way, go inside and have a sandwich, and come back in time to see it land... I don't know. Should you?

My UAV Liability Insurance policy says no flights beyond visual range, period. FPV flight are OK, just not beyond visual range. I think you might be getting close to the FAR 91.13 definition of "Careless and Reckless Operation", assuming you are in U.S. And yes, some may argue that the FAR's don't apply here, but that won't stop the FAA from charging you anyway and then having to defend your actions in court should something unthinkable happen.

Just my two cents worth..

Thanks for the info on laws and policies. I was seeking opinions, though.
I posed the question, so I'll offer my opinion.

I'M NOT SURE! That's kind of why I asked. I think it's a little irresponsible no matter what copter your using. It could also all go as planned, and odds are it will, but things break. Do I want to take the chance of flying those props into somebody?

So - would YOU try it or not?

lgeist said:
Eos630 said:

My UAV Liability Insurance policy says no flights beyond visual range, period. FPV flight are OK, just not beyond visual range. I think you might be getting close to the FAR 91.13 definition of "Careless and Reckless Operation", assuming you are in U.S. And yes, some may argue that the FAR's don't apply here, but that won't stop the FAA from charging you anyway and then having to defend your actions in court should something unthinkable happen.

Who do you have your insurance with?

FASTFJR said:
lgeist said:
Eos630 said:

Who do you have your insurance with?

http://www.aerialpak.com

I haven't bound the policy just yet, but expect to in the next few weeks.

Eos630 said:
Thanks for the info on laws and policies. I was seeking opinions, though.
I posed the question, so I'll offer my opinion.

I'M NOT SURE! That's kind of why I asked. I think it's a little irresponsible no matter what copter your using. It could also all go as planned, and odds are it will, but things break. Do I want to take the chance of flying those props into somebody?

So - would YOU try it or not?

Would I set up a route in ground station that took the UAV out of sight deliberately? No. I have a lot of faith in my equipment, and I have a lot of faith in the way it's set up. Do I have complete, total faith in it? no. There is always a possibility that something could go wrong. I may be able to do something if it does to fix the problem, or mitigate the consequences, if I'm watching the flight the entire time. I might not be able to do anything, but at least I would know myself that I had taken every precaution; if I decided to go in the house, have a sandwich and come back out for the landing...i just couldn't ever say that, safe outcome or not

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4