ESC V2 mix with V2.1

Reaction score
I have a bad ESC and have all v2.0 can I replace just one ESC with a V2.1 and it will work with all the other three V2.0 ESCs?

Reactions: landed
Prowler said:
I have a bad ESC and have all v2.0 can I replace just one ESC with a V2.1 and it will work with all the other three V2.0 ESCs?

The service manager told me there is no differences in ESC's. The important part is making sure they have the same color approval mark on top of the black canister. But then again the same guy lied his butt off about other things, so I don't think I would want to trust his anything. And I would wait for someone else to chime in with their opinion on this subject as well.

I would just pay the $100 and buy 4 new ones.

If anyone comes in and says "yes it will work" do you really want to risk your $1000+ device ?
Unless DJI tell you it will be fine and guarantee to stick by there response/advice, in case it is not fine (which I really doubt they will do) then I would just pay the $100.

Also if 1 has gone bad, how do you know the others won't go bad either ? Or did you have a tip over or something like that ?

OK... look about it this way and think about this analogy.

You have an electric car you drive every day with 4 motors and control ESCS's (one pair per wheel). In traffic that you want to go from A to B. On the road passing hundreds of homes or locations. Do you think the car service manager would change the ESC of your electric car to a not known but "rev'd" (aka the difference between 2.0 and why they built 2.1) controller with assuming the risk of his perosnal choice? What if any is the point of the revision. Has somebody or an engineer signed off on the mix and match. Will the service mgr of the auto sign off as a company rep that it's ok?

Keep in mind nobody knows what DJI naming convention really is. They keep putting new fixes, changes, improvement and even worse software into the market without conventional standard revision numbering that many here on the forum or have been trained in general industry were educated to do as quality. It's Chinese it won't change...

Being a MAJOR difference, in my view, and per the way I was trained in the high tech industry it has nothing to do with marks on the Capacitors that Frank eluded to. They will mark Ver 2.0 and 2.1 all good per device to eliminate E&O (Excess and Obsolete ie. left overs) components to maximize the return to the balance sheet. If it was a critical change the ESC's would be labeled 3.0 but again what is the Chinese viewpoint on failure?

Back to the question. Would you chance a 2 lb. brick to go out of control at 200' above you? I wouldn't personally.

Tell them to put it in writing as any failure and consequential damages occurred due to failure are with liability due to mix/ match revisions and said approval from the company. If it was me and I couldn't get a 2.0 replacement the option would be to change all 4
to 2.1

I tried mixed two ver 2s and two ver 2.1s.
First test flight after install It took off, wanted to climb uncontrollably even at mid throttle. It seemed like it was pulsing as it went up like the naza was sending a signal to the escs that wasn't being interpreted equally. I had to pull the throttle stick down almost all the way to bring it back down and had a minor tipover on landing.
Changed the remaining two escs to ver 2.1 and it flew fine again.
It may have been a fluke or something else, but it never flew weird like that again after switching to all 4 escs the same.

mad in nc said:
OK... look about it this way and think about this analogy.

You have an electric car you drive every day with 4 motors and control ESCS's (one pair per wheel). In traffic that you want to go from A to B. On the road passing hundreds of homes or locations. Do you think the car service manager would change the ESC of your electric car to a not known but "rev'd" (aka the difference between 2.0 and why they built 2.1) controller with assuming the risk of his perosnal choice? What if any is the point of the revision. Has somebody or an engineer signed off on the mix and match. Will the service mgr of the auto sign off as a company rep that it's ok?

This is good analogy cause my daily driver is a VOLT, an electric car.

justin00 said:
I would just pay the $100 and buy 4 new ones.
If anyone comes in and says "yes it will work" do you really want to risk your $1000+ device ?
Unless DJI tell you it will be fine and guarantee to stick by there response/advice, in case it is not fine (which I really doubt they will do) then I would just pay the $100.
Also if 1 has gone bad, how do you know the others won't go bad either ? Or did you have a tip over or something like that ?

Yes it has tip over every time I take off. I think I just going to buy 4 new ESC V2.1 as I have heard the V2.0 have some problems.

ksphantom said:
I tried mixed two ver 2s and two ver 2.1s.
First test flight after install It took off, wanted to climb uncontrollably even at mid throttle. It seemed like it was pulsing as it went up like the naza was sending a signal to the escs that wasn't being interpreted equally. I had to pull the throttle stick down almost all the way to bring it back down and had a minor tipover on landing.
Changed the remaining two escs to ver 2.1 and it flew fine again.
It may have been a fluke or something else, but it never flew weird like that again after switching to all 4 escs the same.

I think I just going to buy 4 new ESC V2.1 as I have heard the V2.0 have some problems.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Yeah I have 3 2.0 an the 2.1 goes wide open instantly. Box says 2.0 but it doesn't coincide with the other 3

Any time you do a major hardware change you need to re calibrate the IMU so it can set the sensors and properly maintain its control functions. Then you should see it fly streight and level.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I have the same question as the original poster - is there an upgrade kit available ? I cant seem to find a replacement v2.0 esc anywhere in the uk. I am happy to get from abroad ultimately but wonder if I should just upgrade - is there a way ? Thanks

You can mix the 2.0 and the 2.1. The key to success is after you change one out you do a IMU calibration so it adjusts to the new hardware. The only difference in the two is the firmware. They will work just fine. I am flying with the mod myself.
It's easy

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20