ESC Status Error after Latest Firmware Update

Reaction score
Updated P3 Pro to latest firmware 1.9.60, and all went well until I turned it back on and tried to start the rotors. Received the error message: *Warning, ESC Status Error. Restart Aircraft*. I have recalibrate the IMU, reinstalled the DJI Go app. Still the same thing. Any ideas?

Updated P3 Pro to latest firmware 1.9.60, and all went well until I turned it back on and tried to start the rotors. Received the error message: *Warning, ESC Status Error. Restart Aircraft*. I have recalibrate the IMU, reinstalled the DJI Go app. Still the same thing. Any ideas?
Same thing with me on my phantom 4

I had the same issue with the latest firmware update on my DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I read several fixes, but the easiest fix was to just let it be. After the firmware apparently failed (even though the progress reached 100%) my drone started beeping. I turned it on and just let it beep. After about 15 minutes the beeping stopped and it was back to normal. Turned the drone off and back on and I was flying in minutes. . .

As far as I can tell, three people have gotten the ESC error after updating to 1.9.60 so I can't tell whether it's something to be concerned about or not at this point (because I know more than that have flown without a problem on 1.9.60). But just to be safe, I'm going to downgrade back to 1.8.80 today to be safe. It sounds like once you get the error, going back to 1.8.80 after that won't solve it, so I want to downgrade mine before it happens. I figure the worst case scenario is that 1.9.60 has updated ESC logic that could be overheating the ESC's and burning them out. So if at some point, it is determined that's what is happening, I don't want to risk it.

Mike

I didn't see any problem so fat but I suggest to keep away from it. My only concern is that it this is happening due to battery FW, there is no way to go back to old battery FW.

I didn't see any problem so fat but I suggest to keep away from it. My only concern is that it this is happening due to battery FW, there is no way to go back to old battery FW.

Wait, so if I have 1.9.60 now and I put the 1.8.80 bin file on the card to downgrade, it's only going to downgrade my P3P but it'll leave the batteries at 1.9.60? In that, case, maybe I shouldn't downgrade?

Edit: I think I remember reading that one of the people with the ESC error flew fine on one battery, then got the ESC error, but after that, both of his batteries were throwing an ESC error... even the one he hadn't flown on yet. If so, I'm doubting it's the battery firmware.

Mike

I have submitted a trouble ticket to DJI. I do not have high hopes for it though.

I downgraded mine back to 1.8.080 yesterday. Result file said success. But DJI Go app still says 1.8.80+. So I guess now I'm on 1.8.80 AC firmware and 1.9 battery firmware. Oh well. I'll fly it and see what happens.

Mike

OK, flew it once after downgrading to 1.8.80. Flew fine. I tried full throttle and it still has an initial (1 second) quick burst of high speed and then cuts back a little while still holding full throttle, but I don't think it's as dramatic as 1.9. 1.9 seemed to go full speed on the motors and then cut back about 30%. 1.8.80 still cuts back a little (I can hear the motors slow down a little after about 1 second) but it sounds more like about 10% to me. I'm not 100% convinced as I'd have to fly both versions on the same day and maybe make a recording of the props to be sure since I'm going by sound alone, but I think they may have changed some of the ESC logic in 1.9. Just my .02.

Mike

I dont think this is connected to 1.9.

Here is my story. I updated to 1.8, when the update failed. Then phantom was beeping like crazy everytime i turned it on.
After that i learned that i had to wait through it. after 15 minutes of shagging my ears, the beeping stopped, and updated the FW succesfully.
A week later, i got an ESC status error. Even though i have never crashed.

I sent it back to DJI. They replaced it. Sent me the new one.

I installed 1.9 firmware. right away. after 2 days, i inserted a different sd card in there, which i forgot to check, had 1.8 on it. The drone started update and i turned it off in the middle. GOt scared.Turned it back on, that crazy beeping on my brand new drone.

Waited through, installed 1.9. Flying since then without a problem. I hope no more ESC status error for me.

Hopefully after some time, we'll get to the bottom of the ESC errors. The thing that bothers me is that I never saw any "random" ESC errors (without crashing or obstructed motors) prior to 1.9. Then we got three or four people who got them on startup after installing 1.9. Right now, I feel safer running on 1.8.80 and will probably stick with that until the next update (and some guinea pigs have reported on it). :)

Mike

I dont think this is connected to 1.9.

Here is my story. I updated to 1.8, when the update failed. Then phantom was beeping like crazy everytime i turned it on.
After that i learned that i had to wait through it. after 15 minutes of shagging my ears, the beeping stopped, and updated the FW succesfully.
A week later, i got an ESC status error. Even though i have never crashed.

I sent it back to DJI. They replaced it. Sent me the new one.

I installed 1.9 firmware. right away. after 2 days, i inserted a different sd card in there, which i forgot to check, had 1.8 on it. The drone started update and i turned it off in the middle. GOt scared.Turned it back on, that crazy beeping on my brand new drone.

Waited through, installed 1.9. Flying since then without a problem. I hope no more ESC status error for me.

They replaced it with a new Phantom?

Ok I've had sort of the same problem. I have a post on it in here. Long story short, I updated everything and I got main controller data error, which I tried everything to fix so I ultimately tore the drone apart and replaced the internal sd card. Then I Recalibrated everything and the message was gone but when I went to fly I got the esc error message when I tried to start the motors and they wouldn't start. Tried to reinstall the firmware and it would make all kinds of weird noises I've never heard before and get stuck and never finish the update. I flew fine with the update just had the main controller error message but now I don't have the message, but now it won't fly at all. I can't imagine changing the internal sd card would cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Update: I submitted a repair ticket request do DJI, they emailed a pre-paid shipping label to be sent to a repair center in California. Sent it in, and it took approximately 2 weeks and they shipped it back repaired. Replaced the main control board module, and 2312A Motor. I have seen a lot of negative comments about DJI's customer service, but honestly, this could not have went any smoother. Unit works great and I'm very satisfied.

Update: I submitted a repair ticket request do DJI, they emailed a pre-paid shipping label to be sent to a repair center in California. Sent it in, and it took approximately 2 weeks and they shipped it back repaired. Replaced the main control board module, and 2312A Motor. I have seen a lot of negative comments about DJI's customer service, but honestly, this could not have went any smoother. Unit works great and I'm very satisfied.
Wow, this sounds like a hardware upgrade is necessary to support 1.9.60. So now your bird flies OK and you are at 1.9.60 firmware?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.