ESC problems. How do you know if you have?

Reaction score
I am getiing red flashing lights and a phantom that wants to land on a full battery. How can I determine if this is an ESC problem. If so how can I figure out reliably which ESC to change. I hate guess work. How does the phantom warn you if an ESC is bad? There is no log file to read if you run your usb and the Naza software. The closest I found was the motor test, which spins each motor for an instant just so you can see if the blade is spinning in the proper direction.

Is there any real tests to run. I can always try cutting a salami with each blade and the slowest cuting one would be the bad one. I say this because I feel all suggestions are just speculations and there is nothing put out by DJI to benchmark your hardware, I just get tired of guessing. Anyone with some good ideas to figure out the flashing red on a new battery. Sometimes it flashes after 30 seconds

xstatic said:
I am getiing red flashing lights and a phantom that wants to land on a full battery. How can I determine if this is an ESC problem. If so how can I figure out reliably which ESC to change. I hate guess work. How does the phantom warn you if an ESC is bad? There is no log file to read if you run your usb and the Naza software. The closest I found was the motor test, which spins each motor for an instant just so you can see if the blade is spinning in the proper direction.

Is there any real tests to run. I can always try cutting a salami with each blade and the slowest cuting one would be the bad one. I say this because I feel all suggestions are just speculations and there is nothing put out by DJI to benchmark your hardware, I just get tired of guessing. Anyone with some good ideas to figure out the flashing red on a new battery. Sometimes it flashes after 30 seconds

first question for me is - were you in a crash?

Then a series of follow up questions..

How many good flights have you had?
Did you recently upgrade firmware or hardware?
What is the life of the batteries?
Have you checked all the cells on the batteries?
Is it only one battery you have experiencing this issue or multiple batteries?

Buckaye said:
xstatic said:

first question for me is - were you in a crash?

Then a series of follow up questions..

How many good flights have you had?
Did you recently upgrade firmware or hardware?
What is the life of the batteries?
Have you checked all the cells on the batteries?
Is it only one battery you have experiencing this issue or multiple batteries?

Yes it happened after a mild crash at about shoulder height. It went into some branches, chewed up a few, cracked a blade then tumbled down. Had worse crashes with no damage.

Hundreds of good flights. I have been flying 2 summers, and out almost every day using up 8 batteries at a time.
Recently upgraded to the latest naza software. I think 4.02 and all was fine for a couple of dozen flights till this crash.
Batteries are brand new. Only used them twice. Just got them.
All cells are ok.
Multibple batteries are giving the problem, so not the batteries.

Have you taken it apart yet and checked the wires and connections? sometimes even the seemingly least severe crash can knock something loose. It could very well be that you have a loose connection which is allowing your volts to drop below the acceptable threshold (even for a second) prompting the failsafe for landing.

I opened it but did not see anything out of the ordinary. I will recheck it with a magnifying glass,to,see if there is any hairline cracks or loose solder joints.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20