ESC Board Fix or Fried Somehow?

Reaction score
So, as a newbie I had reported that I flew my Phantom in a wide area and then the quadcopter flew out of control clipping bunch of pine trees and then a crash onto the grassy area beneath the tree. C-clamp from one of the motors was found in the motor housing. So, I believe that was the cause of the runaway.

I have upgraded with T-Motors Antigravity just as an upgrade and not merely to replace that one motor with piss poor bearings and C-clamps (some call it "e" clamps). Beautiful thing - the T-Motors!

My Phantom's right red light motor still is not rotating normally. Hesitates. Could the ESC "red" board gotten fried from the original stock motor jamming and backflow resistance created to the board?

KGrHqZ_lQFEH3hWDn_BRLIHIh3j_60_3.JPG

I would hate to purchase a new ESC red board if that's not the issue. And if it is the issue, is there a way to correct/fix it? Programmable? I have no clue how to use the NAZA PC tool.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Swap the motor with one of the other three. If it works fine, you have a bad motor. If it still hesitates, you have a bad ESC. Replace it -- don't take a chance trying to fix it; they're not that expensive.

MrMediaGuy said:
Swap the motor with one of the other three. If it works fine, you have a bad motor. If it still hesitates, you have a bad ESC. Replace it -- don't take a chance trying to fix it; they're not that expensive.

Yes, I switched motors (they are new T-Motors) and they all work fine.

I will purchase a new ESC. Once I install the new one, will I have to do anything with programming using the NAZDA? I have no clue obviously about that tool. I'm sure that I can spend hours learning from YouTube if it's on there.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Not at all -- just make sure you order the correct color (red or green) and solder it in. Then just plug it into the same "M" port on the NAZA and you're done.

MrMediaGuy said:
Not at all -- just make sure you order the correct color (red or green) and solder it in. Then just plug it into the same "M" port on the NAZA and you're done.

Again, thank you!

When installing the new ESC, look at the motor wiring on the motor diagonally across from the one you are working on. If the wires two wires are "crossed" on that motor, do the hook up the same way . . . if all wires are "in-line" not crossed, do that. Saves experimenting with soldering.

Note that the T-motors are all wired the same, non-colored of course, but are wire different than the stock motors. If the wiring for a particular motor to ESC is in line for stock, it'll be two wires crossed for the T-motor and visa vesa.

I know I made that sound complicated, but it's not :?

bumper

bumper said:
When installing the new ESC, look at the motor wiring on the motor diagonally across from the one you are working on. If the wires two wires are "crossed" on that motor, do the hook up the same way . . . if all wires are "in-line" not crossed, do that. Saves experimenting with soldering.

Note that the T-motors are all wired the same, non-colored of course, but are wire different than the stock motors. If the wiring for a particular motor to ESC is in line for stock, it'll be two wires crossed for the T-motor and visa vesa.

bumper

I learned that about the T-motors the hard way. :) Someone on RCGroups posted that if you just "flattened out" the wires on the T-motors, they would solder in the same as the stock motors. Nuh uh. I ended up with 4 motors all running backwards. Fortunately I had put in bullet connectors at the same time so it was trivial to reverse them, but still... :)

MrMediaGuy said:
bumper said:

bumper

I learned that about the T-motors the hard way. :) Someone on RCGroups posted that if you just "flattened out" the wires on the T-motors, they would solder in the same as the stock motors. Nuh uh. I ended up with 4 motors all running backwards. Fortunately I had put in bullet connectors at the same time so it was trivial to reverse them, but still... :)

Thanks to both of you! Great advice!

Im going thru the same ordeal one of my red esc is acting up so i think, so i ordered a new one along with a set of the tiger motors - here is a diagram for wiring them - the only difference is 2 wiring set ups -1 for cw and 1 for ccw - take a look at this diagram and see if its correct?? , better be-- i going to use it as a guide for my install
better be - I am starting to dislike halfed baked install guides with parts of important info left out :mrgreen:

click on the instructions Tab--
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... egory=1076

360icon said:
Im going thru the same ordeal one of my red esc is acting up so i think, so i ordered a new one along with a set of the tiger motors - here is a diagram for wiring them - the only difference is 2 wiring set ups -1 for cw and 1 for ccw - take a look at this diagram and see if its correct?? , better be-- i going to use it as a guide for my install
better be - I am starting to dislike halfed baked install guides with parts of important info left out :mrgreen:

click on the instructions Tab--
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... egory=1076

Yeah that diagram is correct, and it's actually a pretty clear guide if you just go slowly, and you make sure you put the correct motor (based on thread direction) in each location, just as shown there. If you have the motors in the right places, just look real close at the wiring diagrams and follow the numbers. As long as the each motor is in the right spot, it's easy to correct the direction of spin if you wire it wrong...just switch the connection locations of wires 1 & 3 (or any pair, really).

Just replaced one last week easy job, a bad motor that runs will fry and ESC.
I got lucky my esc died when my rig was 3feet off the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl