Erratic turning of motors

Reaction score
Hi, my Phantom has been working fine for weeks, but I got a weird issue with the motors now.

Today I changed the legs to the SimonSays foldable legs, and also removed the propeller guards. I haven't opened the body.

When I tried to start it all four motors were moving in a very slow and choppy way.
I went inside, and did an Advanced Calibration, but it still behaves the same.

What could cause this?

See video here: http://www.youtube.com/embed/0iCC-I3lNvU

I was also assemblying my Senrigan GP-35 gimbal next to the Phantom at the time, and noticed that my screwdriver became pretty magnetized at the time.

Could exposure to magnetism cause this?

You are still using the long screw after removing the prop guard. The long screw has penatrated into the motor and damaged the part inside.

You can try to remove the long screw and use the "original" one and test the motors again. If the motors still fail, I am afraid you need to change the motors. The ESCs are fine, although the LED beneath did not light up.

Raptor said:
You are still using the long screw after removing the prop guard. The long screw has penatrated into the motor and damaged the part inside.

You can try to remove the long screw and use the "original" one and test the motors again. If the motors still fail, I am afraid you need to change the motors. The ESCs are fine, although the LED beneath did not light up.

Nice catch on the long screw! :idea:

The screws may have scratched the stator windings and damaged the insulation though.

I would suggest to disassemble the motors and visually inspect the stator windings for any signs of damage. If the insulation on the windings are damaged, this may cause a short and may damage your ESCs. Also check if any of the windings are loose or broken.

I sincerely hope the motors are still fine. It would be a shame as they are the vaunted T-Motors Whitey. :)

Hi guys, I replaced the screws, but the motors are still not turning properly. I guess they got damaged then :(

One of the props spins almost normally, and the ESC LED lights up. The other three motors just rattle about, and the LEDs do not light up.

Raptor, how can I be sure the ESCs are not damaged as well?

If your stock motors are still in good condition, connect those and check if they spool up properly.

Scalpel78 said:
Hi, my Phantom has been working fine for weeks, but I got a weird issue with the motors now.

Today I changed the legs to the SimonSays foldable legs, and also removed the propeller guards. I haven't opened the body.

When I tried to start it all four motors were moving in a very slow and choppy way.

What could cause this?

This happened to me today...I am extremely mad at myself for not putting back the original screws...Now does this mean that they are completely done? No way to fix them?? Thanks

sevenclouds said:
Scalpel78 said:

What could cause this?

This happened to me today...I am extremely mad at myself for not putting back the original screws...Now does this mean that they are completely done? No way to fix them?? Thanks

What happened was you shorted the windings in the motors. There is no easy way to fix them. The easiest thing is to order new motors. I had to do this for my own Phantom a few weeks ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl