Equipment advice please!

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve got a P2V+ at the moment and I’m currently undertaking my BNUC-S to fly it commercially. I also want to have a backup in case my P2V+ stops working at any point.

I intend to do work for estate agents, hotels and weddings too. I want to have a camera for shooting good quality internal footage especially to be played in slow mo. I would like to get a handheld 3d gimbal and GoPro for the internal work. In my simple mind this means I could use the same GoPro on a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal. However, I’m a little confused by how much kit is going to be involved and whether I should just buy another P2V+ or get a P2 and all the kit.

I want to be able to:
• See what I’m recording whilst flying (kind of FPV)
• See what I’m recording during internal work
• Have both internal/external stabilised by a 3 axis gimbal
• Re-use screens/keep costs down where possible.

So far, as I see it my options are:

1) Buy another P2V+ and get a go-pro + handheld gimbal separately.
2) Buy a Go Pro 4 and P2 and get:
a. P2 + H3-3D
b. Blackpearl monitor
c. Mini IOSd

As I understand it, no GoPros allow you to view what you’re recording as you’re recording it apart from the new silver one? But if it is housed in a gimbal then how do you see what’s recording anyway. From what I can see on the GoPro apps over wifi it seems laggy and also doesn’t show you anything whilst recording!?!

Am I missing something obvious?

How do you guys do internal/external shots and what would you do in my situation?

bliffman said:
Hi,

I’ve got a P2V+ at the moment and I’m currently undertaking my BNUC-S to fly it commercially. I also want to have a backup in case my P2V+ stops working at any point.

I intend to do work for estate agents, hotels and weddings too. I want to have a camera for shooting good quality internal footage especially to be played in slow mo. I would like to get a handheld 3d gimbal and GoPro for the internal work. In my simple mind this means I could use the same GoPro on a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal. However, I’m a little confused by how much kit is going to be involved and whether I should just buy another P2V+ or get a P2 and all the kit.

I want to be able to:
• See what I’m recording whilst flying (kind of FPV)
• See what I’m recording during internal work
• Have both internal/external stabilised by a 3 axis gimbal
• Re-use screens/keep costs down where possible.

So far, as I see it my options are:

1) Buy another P2V+ and get a go-pro + handheld gimbal separately.
2) Buy a Go Pro 4 and P2 and get:
a. P2 + H3-3D
b. Blackpearl monitor
c. Mini IOSd

As I understand it, no GoPros allow you to view what you’re recording as you’re recording it apart from the new silver one? But if it is housed in a gimbal then how do you see what’s recording anyway. From what I can see on the GoPro apps over wifi it seems laggy and also doesn’t show you anything whilst recording!?!

Am I missing something obvious?

How do you guys do internal/external shots and what would you do in my situation?

Hey, man. I've got an awesome set-up using the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal. I use a GoPro Hero 4 with Lightbridge. I originally had the Production Kit from Dronefly.com
Here is a link to it: http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/p2g-pck.htm
You are able to get the live view via the Boscam TX which sends the signal from the GoPro to the wireless monitor. DO NOT use the GoPro wifi while flying the P2. The radio waves can interfere, causing your Phantom to crash. In your spot, I would honestly get a kit. They are going to give you the best bang for your buck, and are the most professional set-up. Dronefly has continually offered me great customer service and I recommend them to everyone.

Thanks for the reply but I'm not in the USA. Thanks for the tip on GoPro wifi too but I'm already aware of that.

Has anybody else got any advice?

Handheld gimbal would be my choice, but here's a cheap(er) alternative ...

Dronin @ 64 sec
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpuFLdJ2hU[/youtube]

GL

I'll volunteer my thought process. I've been flying a hex for a couple of years, but just recently bought my first Phantom. I suspect that you haven't received a lot of replies because you already have some Phantom experience, so what could further your knowledge without sounding condescending?

In my case, I decided to buy the P2 with the Hero3 on the gimbal. Yes, I know the Vision+ is their latest and greatest, but I don't like the idea of a sole-source for the camera. If I crashed a Vision+ and damaged the camera, I am out a lot of money. The Hero is virtually indestructible - I can't count how many times I crashed the hex with a Hero attached - but it just keeps working. Plus I can replace the Hero with a drive to Wal Mart.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the thoughts. I'm thinking of getting the new Hero 4 for internal and aerial work with a P2 but I think I'll hold back on buying the P2 just yet. I want to know when the P3 is going to be here as I'm almost 100% happy with the P2V+ for my needs, just wish the videos were a tiny bit better quality.

bliffman said:
I want to know when the P3 is going to be here...

Quite soon, would be my guess based on my luck of timing. I just bought a P2.

Count me among those looking for a simple way to use my spare Zenmuse H3 for handheld GoPro work. I could always just build a handle for the whole Phantom and mount my FPV monitor on top but it seems sort of silly. To impress clients, I could shroud it in black and put a big-name logo on the front. ;)
If I had the pin outs on the gimbal, I could wire it up. I would need some sort of tilt control on the handle; a knob or stick or lever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers