End of the Phantom Line?

RPP

Reaction score
Website
www.parrikar.com
With the announcement of Mavic 3, it looks increasingly likely that the Phantom line is a dead end.

I will still hold on to my Phantom 4 Pro v2, which I think offers as good image quality as the latest Mavic 3 release. Yes, the new item has a 4/3 sensor but the pixel count is the same and in reasonably good light I don't expect to see any practical difference. Furthermore, the Phantom has a mechanical shutter whereas the Mavic doesn't.

With the announcement of Mavic 3, it looks increasingly likely that the Phantom line is a dead end.

I will still hold on to my Phantom 4 Pro v2, which I think offers as good image quality as the latest Mavic 3 release. Yes, the new item has a 4/3 sensor but the pixel count is the same and in reasonably good light I don't expect to see any practical difference. Furthermore, the Phantom has a mechanical shutter whereas the Mavic doesn't.
I ordered my Phantom 4 pro when it was released 5 years ago.
It's paid for itself many times over and still runs as well as the day it came out of the box.
The V2.0 was only a minor mid-model update.
DJI never advanced the Phantom line from the release 5 years ago.
The Phantom line reached a dead end several years ago.

Reactions: RPP
I wish DJI would discount older models like the major camera makers do when newer versions come out. I would have no problems buying a P4P but not at the same price that it has been at for years. Refurbished models used to be available from DJI in Canada but are now no longer available for some reason.

Chris

Reactions: Brojon and RPP
I agree with Meta4 when he says that the Phantom line was discontinued years ago.
I had a P3P and now I have a P4Pv2 and I'm happy with it.
I just wish my P4Pv2 would not have the yaw issue. Was ever found a solution for the yaw problem?

Reactions: RPP

It's not the pixel count. Heck they have phone cameras with "45 mp" sensors.
It's the receptor size which determines the amount of light and consequently the noise floor and dynamic range.
The dynamic range is what we want albeit the noise is important as well in low light..

It's not the pixel count. Heck they have phone cameras with "45 mp" sensors.
It's the receptor size which determines the amount of light and consequently the noise floor and dynamic range.
The dynamic range is what we want albeit the noise is important as well in low light..

Thanks, Dr. Einstein. Without you we would never have known about these matters.

Thanks, Dr. Einstein. Without you we would never have known about these matters.
Yes, the new item has a 4/3 sensor but the pixel count is the same and in reasonably good light I don't expect to see any practical difference.
Nice - I'm a semi-professional photographer who has been involved in digital since the early 2000's.
I try to point out an important fact you seem to have minimized and you decide it calls for a snarky comment.
You do realize there's a "be civil" aspect of being a member here?
Anyway if you choose the ignorance is bliss approach that's your business.
Ciao

Nice - I'm a semi-professional photographer who has been involved in digital since the early 2000's.
I try to point out an important fact you seem to have minimized and you decide it calls for a snarky comment.
You do realize there's a "be civil" aspect of being a member here?
Anyway if you choose the ignorance is bliss approach that's your business.
Ciao

Good to hear you are a semi-pro.

I don't mean to be hostile to you. Let me just say that the points you made above are well-known to me, and I understand them well.

Have a nice day.

(I do photography full-time, by the way, and like you, have been doing it since the early 2000s.)

Last edited:
Respondents won't necessarily be aware of your expertise. Brojon's comments may inform others. Uncivil replies discourage people from contributing.

There was nothing uncivil about my response. A little sarcasm is not equal to incivility. People ought not to act like they are dainty, delicate flowers.

Last edited:
It's paid for itself many times over and still runs as well as the day it came out of the box.
I do love my P4P V1 for the most part. I just wish I could get it to fly straight and not crab. Although it’s good practice to learn how you compensate with the right stick. ;)

There was nothing uncivil about my response. A little sarcasm is not equal to incivility. People ought not to act like they are dainty, delicate flowers.
I too felt your comment was snarky and uncalled for. But to not bow to your snarkiness doesn’t make anyone a dainty flower. To the contrary. They are standing up for themselves. If you can’t handle a little back talk then maybe you should think about what a dainty flower really is.

the Phantom model line was discontinued back in 2017 and many articles were written about it. They will still produce the current 4 line but will no longer further it.

the Phantom model line was discontinued back in 2017 and many articles were written about it. They will still produce the current 4 line but will no longer further it.

Thanks. Was it officially discontinued? I know there was chatter about it in all the forums but has DJI issued a statement to that effect?

I’m just glad they still sell new batteries. Once they do stop producing the Phantom line, it’ll be difficult to source new parts and accessories 😓

I think that in spite of teh DJI hype the P4 is a superior flyer.
I dunno what kind of fairy dust they claim to sprinkle on the newer Mavics but my trusty MP struggles with breezes the P4 shrugs off.
For that reason I hang onto it since the optics are still pretty darned good.

I think that in spite of teh DJI hype the P4 is a superior flyer.
I dunno what kind of fairy dust they claim to sprinkle on the newer Mavics but my trusty MP struggles with breezes the P4 shrugs off.
For that reason I hang onto it since the optics are still pretty darned good.

Yes, the P4 is a tough little bird. Wind gusts in Iceland can be brutal and I have sometimes pushed the edge of the envelope and it has come through. More important for me, it has a very good camera system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav