Emergency Shutdown Questions

Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure the answer to the following question?
While in flight, will moving the left stick all the way back/down shut off the motors on the Phantom 3 Professional?
The reason I ask is, I understand moving both sticks down and towards each other (as in initializing the motors for start up) can be used in an emergency to shut off all the motors.
But perusing information about operating the Phantom, I found that it says if you hold the left stick all the way down and hold it, it will also shut off all motors. Well I initialized the motors with the Phantom on the ground, and tried both ways, and both ways did indeed stop all motors. I thought if I had not read this, was flying pretty high and wanted to descend real fast, I might have just accidentally shut the machine off. I like the option of being able to do it using both sticks, but just holding the left stick back killing the motors seemed to be not good setup.
So.... I ran the simulator and with the Phantom on the ground, the left stick back did kill the motors, But if I was flying, then I held the left stick down it would not kill the motors. Hmmm, still was leery, So I took the props off, initialized the Phantom like I was going to really fly it, moved the left stick up slightly and raised the Phantom over my head to simulate best I could that it would think it was actually flying. I held it there, pulled the left stick all the way back, and lo and behold, the motors did shut down. Again I think this is kind of a spooky option that could be a problem.
Any one know if you can disable this option? Or am I missing something here?

When holding the left stick down, the motors will only shut off if your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds. That normally means you've landed (or you're holding it steady over your head).

No. While in flight, the only way to shut the motor down is to perform the CSC. If you need to come down real quick, just hold left stick all the way down. No worries of shutting down motors.
It will only shut off once it reaches the ground. They have a barometer built inside That will only let the motors shut off once the barometer does not change for 3 or so seconds.
Good luck & welcome.

No. While in flight, the only way to shut the motor down is to perform the CSC. If you need to come down real quick, just hold left stick all the way down. No worries of shutting down motors.
It will only shut off once it reaches the ground. They have a barometer built inside That will only let the motors shut off once the barometer does not change for 3 or so seconds.
Good luck & welcome.
When holding the left stick down, the motors will only shut off if your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds. That normally means you've landed (or you're holding it steady over your head).
Thank you! That explains it. Is there a manual I can Download that has these type details?

Good luck & welcome.
Thank you! I really appreciate the help on this.... Dave

Reactions: Larry L
You can download the Phantom manual here.

Reactions: Larry L
What would happen if say, there were some crazy updrafts and the Phantom couldn't descend?
It would turn off. This can be shown when a person hand catches the P3. I raise my hand slightly as I'm pressing down so that the P3 stops moving downward.

But I suspect the movement is very sensitive and movement side to side would probably stop the motors from turning off.

Reactions: Adil J
It would turn off.
I'm still waiting for someone to claim this actually happened. It seems it's pretty much impossible to do since the Phantom is always moving around in at least one direction (as you noted).

What would happen if say, there were some crazy updrafts and the Phantom couldn't descend?
Interesting hypothetical - but it's never going to happen in real life.
1. Hard to imagine a situation where you'll find such an updraft and be wanting to fly
2. Updrafts like that would be very gusty.
Next time you're hand catching, note how you have to hold the Phantom level for three seconds for the shutoff to work.
Any movement is detected by the gyros and the Phantom won't shut down until it hasn't detected movement for 3 secs.

Reactions: Adil J

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.