Embarrassing Basic ? Power Off In Case Heads toward People

Reaction score
If for any particular reason the Phantom winds up headed toward people my thought is to power the quadcopter off so that hopefully it will not hit anyone with much velocity, and definitely not having the rotors turning. Is there anyway to do this with the transmitter? The only way I know to turn it off (rotors) is after landing- holding throttle down.

Yes, never fly near groups of people and stay in an open area. I wouldn't, but just for worst case scenario...

Seems like there should be some way to do this, for various reasons, but somehow it is escaping me.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Embarrassing Basic ? Power Off In Case Heads toward Peop

Not sure there is an magical answer here. I'm not even sure you can turn it off in flight without some mod. I guess maybe trying the sticks turn off but by the time your tearing into people, it's a bit late to even think about it. You could be 300m up and a ctastrophic failure could drop it .... on somebodies head. I have a hard time finding someone insuring my sailboat that I race. Thinking this is a bit harder.

Through the Nazam software I have set up the bottom ATTI position to be the failsafe position. If something goes bad I hit it and the Phantom stops and returns home. You can also just shut off the transmitter too.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to release all control to your moving object near people.

If you're not comfortable enough controlling your quad (from all angles), then it's best to confine your flights so you're not going to get in situation where it could collide with other ppl in any way.

Also: rather than shutting off the quad mid-flight (essentially turning your quad into a gigantic paperweight projectile), I'd rather increase throttle to gain altitude and move away from the crowd.

You guys are right (and I wouldn't wan't to release control anywhere near people). I'm new to this and had an inaccurate understanding of the "flyaway" situation. I was thinking if it got a mind of it's own and headed off in one direction I would cut it off, but that wouldn't make sense now that I understand the flyaway scenario, ie. there is no more Tx Rx connection. I guess it's up to fate at that point.

Let's hope that doesn't happen though.

Ohh alright..

Well, we combat flyaways by understanding as much about how the product works, doing preventive maintenance (firmware update is one of them) and practicing safe flying.

If for whatever reason a flyaway happens and it's still close enough to see that it's heading toward people, then it's time to run and shout toward it (while flicking the GPS-ATTI switch) :shock:

My "emergency move" is full throttle STRAIGHT UP. It has worked well as usually there's nothing to crash into in that direction.

mediaguru said:
My "emergency move" is full throttle STRAIGHT UP. It has worked well as usually there's nothing to crash into in that direction.

Same here - going up means avoiding trees, buildings...and ground (with people)
But of course, the key is leaning how to avoid getting into such a situation in the first place.

mediaguru said:

Hahaha.... "usually"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1