Email for DJI Today on Vision Release Date

Reaction score
As all previous notices this is subject to change without notice, but in a response to my request about availability they responded that now November, not August is the current target.

Mike

... That convinced me to go ahead and buy the original phantom. I've been on the fence about it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I just called Atlanta Hobby 678-513-4450 a few minutes ago and I was told that the Phantom Vision will be coming out mid to late September 2013. I am trying to be patient.

Im looking forward to the Vision, especially seeing the
First youtube videos of the video and Wifi downlink.
Holding my money for one

What could be the possible range of the WiFi?

300ft Max?

I am curious to see what kind of actual flying can be done before you loose that wifi signal from the phantom

Original Phantom, as we all know, uses 2.4 Ghz for control and 5.8 Ghz for FPV.

The Vision is said to swap those frequencies, using 5.8 Ghz for control. That does open things up to some possible issues, while perhaps severely limiting options to resolve those issues.

Consider as radio frequency increases, the more the radiated signal behaves like a flashlight beam. The signal will also be more affected by trees, and foliage and have less penetration.

Since 2.4 Ghz is in wide use for RC controllers, and 5.8 Ghz for wireless video, there are lots of aftermarket equipment options . . . not so when you reverse the frequencies.

I understand why DJI decided to go this way, as two way WiFi control of the Vision using a smartphone, going through a booster (repeater) is appealing. However, smartphone displays do not generally work well in bright sunlight. It's all about the brightness (or lack thereof) of the display as that's directly affected by the power available to backlight the display brightly. On cell phones this is limited by battery size and the need for decent battery life.

The Phantom Vision may well be a winner in terms of off-the-shelf, ready to fly appeal. Though I'm betting this will be mostly to the newbie who isn't aware of or considering the inherent limitations. At least with the original Phantom there are lots of options.

bumper

bumper said:
The Phantom Vision may well be a winner in terms of off-the-shelf, ready to fly appeal. Though I'm betting this will be mostly to the newbie who isn't aware of or considering the inherent limitations. At least with the original Phantom there are lots of options.

I totally agree with you.
The Vision isn't a step up from the original Phantom , but a side-track option for people who just want a toy to fly around.
maybe it'll be ideal for real estate agents who want to do their own aerial video.

But without a brushless gimbal, (or the ability to add one) it's not an ideal video platform.

bumper said:
Original Phantom, as we all know, uses 2.4 Ghz for control and 5.8 Ghz for FPV.

The Vision is said to swap those frequencies, using 5.8 Ghz for control. That does open things up to some possible issues, while perhaps severely limiting options to resolve those issues.

Consider as radio frequency increases, the more the radiated signal behaves like a flashlight beam. The signal will also be more affected by trees, and foliage and have less penetration.

Since 2.4 Ghz is in wide use for RC controllers, and 5.8 Ghz for wireless video, there are lots of aftermarket equipment options . . . not so when you reverse the frequencies.

I understand why DJI decided to go this way, as two way WiFi control of the Vision using a smartphone, going through a booster (repeater) is appealing. However, smartphone displays do not generally work well in bright sunlight. It's all about the brightness (or lack thereof) of the display as that's directly affected by the power available to backlight the display brightly. On cell phones this is limited by battery size and the need for decent battery life.

bumper
I agree, now we can not use the Futaba? And it is set up more for someone not doing any upgrades, it will need a gimbal. Why control with a smart phone? Better with a controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20