Electromagnetic interference

Reaction score
So I'm working the LA Boat show and was on the top level of the LA Convention center structure. We were staging boats there and I wanted to get an aerial view of the boats. I kept getting an error that there was too much electromagnetic interference and I needed to move and calibrate the compass. Every time I calibrated it failed and and gave the same message with the red bar on top saying not safe to fly. I couldn't even take off manually in Atti mode. This went on for about a half an hour, finally I had a co worker hold it above his head and it launched. I took it up, took a few fast pics, and brought it right back down. I did get a red bar for a brief moment of flight, but like I said, brought it down pretty quick.

Any thoughts on this?

Some boats we were taking
5815710686139312325064844e01cf13.jpg

A quick peek over the convention center...
7011424faddda4552e22caa962db7046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've seen less metal in a US Battleship.

Lots of metal in those pics. For reference, I get that same alert message when I'm within 10 ft of my cast iron chiminea in the back yard.

I agree with Air Ontario. Other forms of interference may be radio equipment transmitters in the area. You will definitely want to recalibrate elsewhere before flying again.

Nice pictures!

Are those PV solar modules on those racks? They can be large sources of EMI (electromagnetic Interference) or RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). The inverters are notorious for causing radio interference at certain frequencies. If those are solar modules, that size of a system is generating several kW output.

So this disrupts all flight? I'm still learning all this. I would have thought in Atti mode I could have just gone up and come back as I was not going long range. Just literally over the boats and back down.

So I guess the question is, I always need GPS to fly? Even if not going more than say 40' away?

So this disrupts all flight? I'm still learning all this. I would have thought in Atti mode I could have just gone up and come back as I was not going long range. Just literally over the boats and back down.

So I guess the question is, I always need GPS to fly? Even if not going more than say 40' away?

The signal from your controller to your bird is carried on radio waves. If that signal is being interfered with, then there can be no control. Likely the software tells you there is a problem sending and receiving the instructions for flight, thus the alert message. You have two sets of radios: One radio set is for transmitting instructions for the props to spin at the proper pace for lift, pitch, yaw. The other radio set transmits your video capture. The GPS is there for help positioning the bird relative to the location of the satellites. Interfere with any of those devices electrically and you lose the full functionality of those delicately balanced electronic systems. So choose your surroundings for flying with that in mind and you will avoid problems.

I found out trying to inspect a cell tower took out the signal but I was able to pull away and regain signal. Whew!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Using the P3S? Nice vid! How long did it take you to edit?

Reactions: dirkclod
Using the P3S? Nice vid! How long did it take you to edit?
Not long buddy , me no good at that stuff . I did that for a joke awhile back picking on someone talking about flying around those things .
I don't recommend doing that but when someone tells me ya can't do it I try :)
Me not exactly right in the head ;)
Yes it was the P3S

Reactions: J Dot and Squirrel!
With new update I was flying in a field where previously I had no problems, but I kept getting "strong interference, be careful when flying long distances." Didn't seem to effect the flight, but I'm wondering if this new update had something to do with detecting more interference.

I have been getting lots of interference some places to a point it won't display the camera it's crazy that or if there is other wifi signals in the area it's crazy

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20