electromagnetic interference question

Reaction score
Need to do a few shots and had the red interference bar flashing up and then it went green/ready. I tried to take off and ultimately could not due to a restricted no fly due to nearby airstrip. I'd already notified the airfield and was good to go but must now wait for email from DJI saying I'm cleared. My question is if i had been able to fly or when i return how likely or what do you guys think about taking off in a spotty electric area like that. Power lines on both sides causing it. Could it take off on the green bar and lose control because the red bar comes back? Thanks in advance p34k
Really need to handle up on this but not sure if its worth the risk. May just have to rent a bucket truck haha.

You could try to launch straight up beyond vps range and see if you have a stable gps hold. If not then the magnetic interference could be causing problems with the compass. Some pilots reported interference flying close to power lines.

I think that type launch make it too high risk for me. What I'm wondering is if it might loose control if the compass picks up that interference again After launch. It's a highway right next to it as well as the airport mentioned befire. After reading more past threads it appears you are at the mercy of the wind if that happens.
It also talked about metal objects which there was a big sheet metal building really close to where I'm trying to take the photos

I do a launch and hover to test my compass on every flight. When ac is airborne, interference effect I would think would be gradual and you have time to adjust flight. You need to keep an eye on your screen information.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes, I always hover first also. I guess nothings' without some risk. Its just with all the power lines, airfield nearby, and a highway it ups the ante. My main concern is loss of control if the interference shows up mid flight in such a confined area. I'm probably going to have to explain all this to the client and take a pass which sucks because I think he includes aerial photos with his services.

Plus you have to remember....buried cast iron gas pipes and cast iron water pipes and even some areas with buried power lines too below the take off areas and if its a driveway its full of rebar iron causing magnetic interference !...keep a eye on the interference screen..Before flights and during flights too....Drone On ------->

Reactions: Mark The Droner
...I tried to take off and ultimately could not due to a restricted no fly due to nearby airstrip. I'd already notified the airfield and was good to go but must now wait for email from DJI saying I'm cleared.....
Off topic, but I'd like to know if DJI approves the flight because from what I've read on this site, DJI doesn't okay flights within a mile and a half from an airport regardless of whether the pilot has the airport's approval. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20