Electrical Flicker in rear-starboard LED

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just exchanged my P2V+ with Amazon because the original one seemed to have developed a compass problem. I tried everything, to include the magnet "trick" to no avail. I was within 30 days so I figured I'd exchange it.

Anyway, got my new one, and the rear-starboard LED flickers a little bit. It's an electrical, high-frequency flicker. It's sorta hard to explain, and flickers too fast to capture on video. It sorta looks like an old fluorescent bulb.... its not going completely out when it flickers (aside from normal blinking)

Does anyone else's do this? Is it anything I should be concerned with? Could it cause interference with the radio?

Hello,

I haven't read about any others doing this and mine doesn't either. It sounds like a minor issue that won't affect flying or performance and rather more of an annoyance. Is it just one LED that is flickering or the entire set of 3? It could be a concern down the road if the entire LED panel fails however and if you rely upon those for visual cues at height.

JMHO and not truly informed one as well.

The LEDs are integral part of the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) for each motor. Because it is integral I would be concerned that the other main function of the board could be affected...and that is crucial to your ability to fly safely.

IrishSights said:
The LEDs are integral part of the Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) for each motor. Because it is integral I would be concerned that the other main function of the board could be affected...and that is crucial to your ability to fly safely.

+1
The LEDs on the Phantom are integrated to the ESC. The ESC controls the motor speeds. If the ESC fails, you have a falling lawnmower brick.

I would replace the ESC, which will cost you only € 19. it is only 5 solder points. :cool:
Before it breaks down completely :roll:

jaxbert said:
Does anyone else's do this? Is it anything I should be concerned with? Could it cause interference with the radio?

I noticed at least one of my leg LEDs doing the same thing a few days ago too.

To be safe and for my own satisfaction (who wants one arm light flickering?) I would replace the ESC but, out of curiosity, are all three of the LEDs in the arm flickering or just one? It probably isn't the entire ESC board that is bad. Rather an issue with the LED controller/power feed section. A new ESC is only $19 and five solder connections so it is an easy repair.

It's all 3 LED's on the arm. I also noticed it stops flickering when I start the motors, which makes sense if it's part of the ESC.

Also, I can only get a lock on 5 satellites unless I start the motors (don't take off without at least 6).

Maybe it's a lemon.... I guess back to Amazon it goes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4