Effects of the sun on Phantom

Reaction score
Flying a P4 and curious how the sun will affect the drone in terms of waypoint flying. I believe I read somewhere that the bright object can sometimes stop the drone (because of obstacle avoidance) and can sometimes freeze waypoint flights.

I'm using Litchi more often than not FWIW. Cheers!

Flying a P4 and curious how the sun will affect the drone in terms of waypoint flying. I believe I read somewhere that the bright object can sometimes stop the drone (because of obstacle avoidance) and can sometimes freeze waypoint flights.

I'm using Litchi more often than not FWIW. Cheers!
Personally, I've done about 51 mostly long distance Litchi waypoint missions, and I'm not aware I've encountered collision avoidance activating due to the sun. I was taken aback after hearing that problem with the Mavic Pro a few months ago, but so far, my Phantom 4 has been a trooper. Also, I could see that problem occurring with any horizontally focused obstacle avoidance sensor, especially with the sun low in the sky.

Last edited:
60ccd06369f93065cfb1bd7693dc19c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Flying directly into the sun will sometimes cause the drone to slow down. My p4 does this, especially over water with reflections--like this only lower and following boats. This is with a p3 but p4 will slow down and show proximity bars for a second or two. Switch to another mode. It says all this in the manual--and is true. If it hurts your eyes then it hurts the drone's. Driving into the sun makes it hard to see the road. So we slow down.
Tahoe vertical panorama north shore coppy.jpg

Reactions: DocDiggler
So is it flying into the sun or if the camera is pointed into the sun? Doesn't the P4 have obstacle avoidance on all sides? Would be tough to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31