Editting 30 and 60fs and 720 and 1080 footage.

Reaction score
I don't know what I did wrong. This is probably really a lack of knowledge on my side. I went to the local motorcross track in IJmuiden (NL) and thought it might be a good idea to shoot all the action in 60fps. So I chose the 720-60fps setting and I took 2 videos with it. After that I had to replace the battery and saw in the setting that there is also a 1080i-60fps setting too! Wow. so I chose that one. When I came home and copied the files and double clicked on it I was able to see the videos. Beautiful! (I am quickly impressed, hahaha) Raw.. but sharp and smooth. I tried to edit it in Sony Vegas (and later in Windows Movie maker). The first two video's were ok. But as soon as I tried to import the others, Vegas stopped working (same in Moviemaker). In the end I used a converter to downgrade the videos and I was able to edit them but the videos where not that smooth and sharp anymore.
I really enjoyed the day at the motorcross track and I loved to edit the video footage..but I think I better stick to the normal settings in the future... Is there some best practice how to work with different (30 and 60 fps and 720 and 1080) footage? I would really like to know how to deal with this.

In the end I posted my little video to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzatBhg9tZs so you can see it went a bit wrong.

(oh, I use a Dji Phantom 2 Vision plus btw).

(I think it is because things got interlaced. I see a bird almost hit my Phantom and when I stop the movie I see 2 frames in 1, when I examine my other uploads to Youtube it is ok (1 frame is 1 frame)).

Here is the bird. Twice in one frame.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 616
You'll need to convert your 1080i footage to 720p. You could interpret your 720p 60fps footage to 29.97 for a little slow motion, but you'll want to match your 1080i converted footage to 29.97 as well.

Then everything would be at 720p 29.97

Thanks for the info.. I will try that tomorrow (it is 03:18 overhere now). Thanks again for the advice!

if you are using sony vegas you can easily select match video settings when importing the clips into your timeline. however my humble suggesting is to match project fps to the lowest fps you have which is 30 in your case.

on the flip side, i like shooting 1080p with 60fps on phantom but crop it to 720p 60fps on sony vegas which allows me to get rid of seeing props and shadows. on the other hand when you crop it to 720 you have ability to shift focus area within 1080p image and it gives you way too much stabilization and endless possibilities.

Thanks mr. Goodkat,

the only problem was that the 1080i 60fps files caused Sony Vegas 12 to crash (it freezed/frozed?? haha.. I don't know)... and the same happened in Moviemaker. I sent the file to a friend and he had the same problem in Sony Vegas 13. I am still not sure what goes wrong. Maybe a codec or something. Anyway I was not able to use it or change it in Vegas. I tried to change it in some convert program (Any Video Converter) but the results where not great. I really like your idea especially the possibility to stabilize.

Thanks Shepard.
You are completly right about the 60 fields.. not frames. I wrote that I made that mistake and was just wondering how to correct it (if possible). I will never use that setting again as it crashes Sony Vegas anyway. Thanks again for your explanation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20