Editing P3 Pro footage in Premier? Scrub lag & Chop

Reaction score
So I just went out and spent 2g+ on a new computer for editing, and it's completely non-usable. Even 1080p video chops like crazy. When I hit play in Premier, the video plays smoothly for about 4 seconds, then chop sets in and gets worse and worse until it's pretty much frozen. Scrubbing is so choppy it's impossible to get anything done. What the heck am I doing wrong here? Slightly frustrated since my old i5 27' imac with 512 video ram did a much better job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Intel i7 3.6 ghz
16gb DDR 3 ram
4 gb (ddr5) 970 Strix OC edition video
480gb SSD
Windows 10
Adobe Premier Pro CS6

Last edited:
That should work just fine. Probably a driver issue. I'm not much up on WIndows and never heard of Strix but have you downloaded the newest video driver and checked to make sure windows isn't using some horrid default driver that it found in a ditch somewhere?

Check the video in the default player or VLC. Is is smooth there? If not, go back to the system driver. If it's OK, check your video settings in Premiere. Are you using hardware acceleration? Can you use the CUDA drivers? Is there a STRIX forum where people talk about video drivers?

You can always go back and get that nice 27 inch 5K iMac with 24 GB ram. That's a pretty sweet setup for 4K video. For the price, it damned well ought to be.

So I just went out and spent 2g+ on a new computer for editing, and it's completely non-usable. Even 1080p video chops like crazy. When I hit play in Premier, the video plays smoothly for about 4 seconds, then chop sets in and gets worse and worse until it's pretty much frozen. Scrubbing is so choppy it's impossible to get anything done. What the heck am I doing wrong here? Slightly frustrated since my old i5 27' imac with 512 video ram did a much better job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Intel i7 3.6 ghz
16gb DDR 3 ram
4 gb (ddr5) 970 Strix OC edition video
480gb SSD
Windows 10
Adobe Premier Pro CS6

That computer is more then enough to handle the footage in Premiere CS6.

So I just went out and spent 2g+ on a new computer for editing, and it's completely non-usable. Even 1080p video chops like crazy. When I hit play in Premier, the video plays smoothly for about 4 seconds, then chop sets in and gets worse and worse until it's pretty much frozen. Scrubbing is so choppy it's impossible to get anything done.

Your hardware is fine. Try changing your playback resolution once to see if it has an effect (see my attached image.) Are you rendering your clips or timeline before you're having these playback issues? Have you changed the program settings to Performance in Premiere and allotted appropriate RAM to the program, as well as system programs?

Just a few hints to check on...
PreProHint.jpg

Reactions: Doolang
Your hardware is fine. Try changing your playback resolution once to see if it has an effect (see my attached image.) Are you rendering your clips or timeline before you're having these playback issues? Have you changed the program settings to Performance in Premiere and allotted appropriate RAM to the program, as well as system programs?

Just a few hints to check on...View attachment 61289
I just check on this stuff. The 1/2 resolution playback just barely helps. Premier is set to Performance, and I have 11gb for Premier, 4gb for other programs. I've found the dji files are my only video files that do this. Would love to figure this out!!

Nope, it's doing it with all my phantom 3, 1080p 60fps files. Haven't even bothered to try 4K at this point.

Nope, it's doing it with all my phantom 3, 1080p 60fps files. Haven't even bothered to try 4K at this point.
60 FPS files can be problematic. That's quite a bit of info and there seems to be an issue with DJI's implementation. Try 30 FPS and even 4K. If those are working well, it's probably DJI's fault. Do you need 60 FPS for something?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik