Eclips question

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked but I want to fly up and film it. Will that damage the camera? Somebody at my work said he heard your not suppose to take pictures of it with your phone so wasn't sure what that was all about and if it applied to the drone camera too

First you'll need the appropriate filtering.
Not knowing your location, next will be the challenge of its position in the sky relative to the ability of your MR to even view it. Then there's the possibility of clouds obscuring it.
Personally I'm going to enjoy it 'in the moment' and hope for clear skies.

I have no filters or no anything about them. What happens if I just fly it stock and it's clear out? I live in Washington

So with the sun at a minimum of 40 degrees (in the West; higher as it moves East) above the horizon, and the Phantom's gimbal max up angle 30 degrees, how do you plan on shooting the sun centered?

Cause I haven't got it answered yet and trying to increase my chances seeing how people probably don't read every post[emoji6]

While it's possible to capture the Sun with the gimbal at 30 degrees up the Sun will be at the edge of the FOV AND it will be small -- about 23 pixels by 23 pixels. The Sun will be just over 0.5 degrees in diameter and with the 84 degree FOV lens the P4P has with older Phantoms having an even wider FOV you will just not get much detail beyond your props in the FOV.

Your best bet to capture decent shots or video is to use the biggest lens you have and that's up to and beyond 600mm for a 35mm DSLR.

Brian

Reactions: Tarkington Studios
As mentioned by Raptorman0909 you'll be better off photographing using a dslr with a decent focal length lens, combined with a special solar filter (Baader Astrosolar for example). I took the attached during the 1999 eclipse when it was crossing Turkey (UK was a bit cloudy) using a film camera (shows how ancient I am)
019_17A.JPG
019_17A.JPG

Reactions: AlecSmirts

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4