Easy way to remove filters off the Phantom camera lens.

Reaction score
(I posted this in another thread, and decided that maybe it should be flown for all to see)

I have found an easy way to unscrew filters off the camera lens.

Using the prop-tightening spanner, I 'wrap' the circular part of the spanner around the filter then gently but firmly give it a slight turn until it loosens.

DO NOT, twist the spanner by the handles because they will break.

Gently wrap your hand around the circular part of the spanner and carefully twist the filter loose.

Remove the spanner and loosen the filter the rest of the way by hand.

The circular grip give it an even seize all around the filter.
The same principal is used by engine oil filter removal tools on vehicles.

It worked well for me.

Pete.

(I posted this in another thread, and decided that maybe it should be flown for all to see)

I have found an easy way to unscrew filters off the camera lens.

Using the prop-tightening spanner, I 'wrap' the circular part of the spanner around the filter then gently but firmly give it a slight turn until it loosens.

DO NOT, twist the spanner by the handles because they will break.

Gently wrap your hand around the circular part of the spanner and carefully twist the filter loose.

Remove the spanner and loosen the filter the rest of the way by hand.

The circular grip give it an even seize all around the filter.
The same principal is used by engine oil filter removal tools on vehicles.

It worked well for me.

Pete.
Yeah, this has been suggested before Pete.
Also, I suggest once you refit it, just make it finger tight so you don't have to resort to using the prop tool again. I've never had an issue removing filters by hand.

Reactions: Alex Baxter

Pete.
Nice one..
BTW, it's not for prop tightening, it's a prop removal spanner, don't use it for tightening, see the DJI quick start guide

Reactions: Numone
Convenient of DJI to make the diameters of the motors and filters the same. I keep mine in the travel case right beside the filter pack. Usually don't need it, but had to use it last weekend. Temp was down to around 40 F and the filter wouldn't budge at first probably due to cold contraction. Wrapping the tool around the filter gave me just enough extra to spin it right off.

I've tried everything recommended except for heat on both my P3P and P4 and still can't get them removed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I ended up using the rubber band method and as little pressure as possible. You need to barely touch the filter while removing it.
That's the only method that's ever worked for me on either of my cameras. After first removal, I never tighten them up again.

I've said it before. The threads on the camera are ruogh. They are not precision due mainly to the metal material. This does not have to be a drama lesson. The fix is quite simple.
Apply a small amount of electrical grease (white color) to the camera threads. If you can see it, you used too much.
Screw the filter on and off a few times to spread it.
Problem solved. Threads will not degrade from use and filters install smoothly and removal easy.

Or just rub your finger along side of your nose! That oil is basically the same as sperm whale oil that used to be a standard for optical systems!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20