Easy to set up and cheap iphone fpv for phantom 2 go pro

Reaction score
I'm below rookie status when it comes to this stuff and no matter how much I read or YouTube I watch I can't seem to find a cheap option for streaming live footage from my phantom 2 to my iphone 5. I can't seem to figure out what I need to buy and what is already included in the drone. I don't care about the onscreen data or any of that just the live stream fpv so that I can film surfing. Any help would be much appreciated!

there are a plethora of topics on this subject around the forum, here's the basics based on what you asked specifically:

There are 2 separate families of Phantom 2, make sure you understand the difference:
The Phantom 2 Vision (and Vision+) come with an integrated gimbal (for camera stabilization) and camera. These models were specifically designed to be out of the box streaming live to iDevices because the RC (remote control) does not run on wifi frequencies so you can use a device's wifi streaming... however you're limited in range a bit because wifi only goes so far.

The other non-Vision Phantom 2s are (I'm generalizing here) designed to with a GoPro and usually come with gimbal designed to hold a GoPro (currently the Zenmuse H3-3D or it's predecessor the H3-2D). Unfortunately the RC device for non-Vision P2's runs on the same frequencies as wifi, so you can NOT use wifi streaming from the gopro device.... therefore if you want live FPV you must add in a separate FPV transmitter on the Phantom and of course something to receive the signal on the ground (either a LCD screen or goggles). One of the advantages to going this route is you can get FPV/transmitter equipment that will go MUCH farther than wifi will.

There are a LOT of pre-made kits you can buy with cables or "fpv hubs" so you don't have to do any soldering at all although you will have to open the Phantom and plug some things in... or if you're so inclined and don't mind a couple little solders you can completely install things yourself. this Youtube guide will give you an idea of how complicated (or not, imo) the manual process is. You'd be skipping the first part the iOSD mini install but honestly for another $80 it's really worth it to have all that telemetry info on the screen if you're doing FPV.

I haven't paid super attention to the Phantom 2 Vision+ prices but I think they're around 1200-1300 USD.
a Phantom 2 with gimbal (assuming you have a gopro already) will run you around 900-1000 USD, then another 400 or so for quality FPV kit/system. Point being, I'm afraid neither of these options is "cheap". There are cheaper quadcopters with like 720p cameras that can stream live and whatever but the Phantom isn't one of them.

Hey thanks heaps. I already a have the phantom and go pro set up with h3 3d but have just been struggling to get spot on shots with out being able to see what the cam is seeing, I saw the lightbridge hd streaming set up but it is a bit expensive when I'm only filming surfing. All the fpv stuff just had me confused on whether I could use my phone for a monitor. All good though I'll go with one of these bundles I've come across. Thanks again

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj