Easiest way to take off with your Phantom is...

Reaction score
I used to have problems with take-offs... Phantom tipping over etc. I think the problem is with the GPS, as it starts to adjust the movements of the Phantom even during the takeoff. Why do I believe this is the case? Because if you take-off in altitude mode, your Phantom wont tip-off. When I turn on the Phantom I let it stay in GPS mode so it can save the home location. Just before I take off I turn altitude/ATTI mode on and take-off. As the Phantom is in the air and I want to use GPS I turn it back on.

first you should calibrate well your compass and GPS.... get one notebook to the field and do a advanced calibration there....

If this is not the problem... you may be taking off on windy situation and on those cases its better to do a quick ascend... o ussually have some tipping-off movement when taking off, but i do it fast to avoind really tipping off.
Is you use zenmuse, it does take out the center of gravity of your phantom little bit foward... so it does help taking off not so straight ...

tiagobaracho said:
first you should calibrate well your compass and GPS.... get one notebook to the field and do a advanced calibration there....

If this is not the problem... you may be taking off on windy situation and on those cases its better to do a quick ascend... o ussually have some tipping-off movement when taking off, but i do it fast to avoind really tipping off.
Is you use zenmuse, it does take out the center of gravity of your phantom little bit foward... so it does help taking off not so straight ...

The problem is'nt with compass or IMU etc... It's the fact that when taking off in GPS mode the Phantom start to tipping (not always) but in ATTI mode it does not.

Miika said:
tiagobaracho said:

The problem is'nt with compass or IMU etc... It's the fact that when taking off in GPS mode the Phantom start to tipping (not always) but in ATTI mode it does not.

Hmm, we've had our Phantom for about 6 months and ALWAYS take off in GPS mode. I've never had a tipping issue, neither has my wife.

Well I've had mine for a couple of days now and have notice this issue. I'm no expert but do fly fix pitch blade 120 just fine and always considered a slow take off risky so I'd jump into the air. Been doing that with phantom as well but it seems to ramp up slower. And also, landing is a bit weird with the bouncing up and down in gps. I want it down and stay down. I'm thinking I should try ati mode for both.

Could be a number of reasons like having to calibrate your IMU's and checking your prop's, If you tipped it enough on landing could be possible they're scratched up! I found the legs on these to be to boxy and not out far enough from blades I'd always come in to hard trying to land it in the right spot and almost always end up tipping it, So I bought skids for it and the tipping on landing is no longer an issue! As for the tipping on take off like I said could be prop issues if you ruled out all others out or it not being on level ground during take off!!

What I have not seen mentioned is "where is your center of gravity"?

Hanging a GoPro forward on the shell tends to make takeoffs tip forward. I flew my Phantom, stock and hovered it inches of the ground on take off with no problems. I also flew it modified with an aftermarket landing gear and dual batteries. I wound up breaking two sets of tri-blades before I got smart and shifted the batteries aft on the carrier. Add the GoPro and my stock Phantom tends to tip forward upon takeoff, as does the modified Phantom, requiring a further aft shift of the batteries.

fizzviic said:
What I have not seen mentioned is "where is your center of gravity"?

Hanging a GoPro forward on the shell tends to make takeoffs tip forward. I flew my Phantom, stock and hovered it inches of the ground on take off with no problems. I also flew it modified with an aftermarket landing gear and dual batteries. I wound up breaking two sets of tri-blades before I got smart and shifted the batteries aft on the carrier. Add the GoPro and my stock Phantom tends to tip forward upon takeoff, as does the modified Phantom, requiring a further aft shift of the batteries.

IME, COG doesn't make a huge difference, especially on heavier/gimbaled Phantoms. I've gone to more lengths than most anyone in order to perfectly balance COG, and in doing so I've even severely overloaded the front/back/sides to see exactly what an extra 100-200g off-center would do. The result? Almost no effect. Having a Phantom battery hanging off the back doesn't make the Phantom tip backwards on take off. Having one taped to the left side doesn't cause a list or unstable hovering/flight. I think the NAZA just does a very good job compensating for these things on a quad the size of a Phantom.

There's a certain amount of individualness to every quad though, so YMMV. But I came away very surprised at how difficult it was to unsettle the Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1