Easiest fpv

dvc

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked my times before, but the more I read the more confused I get. I have a Phantom 2, Zenmuse gimbal, GoPro Hero 3+ black.
I am not a RC person nor am I a techno person. I can plug things in and screw in a light bulb, that's about it. I would like to be able to do fpv. for better video control. I would like to have the monitor connected to my Phantom controller, that way I can keep an eye on my quad-copter and monitor both. Easy set up is a must. Plug an play is what I'm looking for. I would like to know what people would recommend and where to purchase. I live in Michigan and if there is anyone in the area that could help with set up that would be great.

TECHNO Idiot needs help!!!

they all not too complicated, but i think it's a good idea to start from the regular setup - transmitter on Phantom, receiver/monitor on the ground, i have boscam 5,8Ghz system RX LCD-5802 and TS 832 , some get better results with TS 353, but if you're not after long range and 6-7 hundred meters is enough for you i'd say it doesn't really matter, just get nice clover-leaf antennas for your transmitter and receiver, and to avoid any disappointments don't even start your setup with antennas it will come.
Some minimal soldering will be required, but if you don't want to learn, or don't have anyone who can help you with that, local hobby store should be able to help you for small fee.
but first - read all the threads on this forum about FPV, you'll get all the info you need to be able to answer all your questions including what to buy and where to buy it all.
good luck

I got myself TS353. I'm still new to soldering and did not want to mess up the job so I went to a local fixup event where people bring their broken electronics.

You will need to solder 2 power wires from vtx to the phantom, 2 phantom wires will be joined with iOSD mini and 2 wires will join go from the mini to vtx. Also you probably can decide if you want to install the anti interference board on at this time. Also the iOSD mini should be installed so that when needed you have an easier way to update it (access to it's microusb slot). for my drone I need to remove the cover. A good excuse to do some preventative maintenance (checking soldering etc).

PS. the vtx antennae should be upgraded to cloverleaf like suggested above me and for the receiver cloverfield and a helical is good combo. Also make sure your vtx antennae is placed on the side of the drone, not behind.

Range wise in the city I had mixed experience. in one direction (near a mobile/radio tower) I got crappy picture starting 100-150 meters out, in other direction I got 300m before LOS and shittier image quality kicked in.

But yesterday I went to countryside and flew my drone 2km without any issues and then bam, almost total loss of video signal. high voltage power lines below (50+ meteres lower) me at that time could have been an issue as well as the signal went from near perfect to non existent very fast.

And turning back I ran into the reason why antennae should be on the side as my video quality was alot worse then heading out there.

Good idea is to download the heli-x simulator software. even the demo mode has phantom as a choice + there is one 3D area to fly in where you can also use the FPV view to just learn the ropes.

evilfurryone said:
I got myself TS353. I'm still new to soldering and did not want to mess up the job so I went to a local fixup event where people bring their broken electronics.

You will need to solder 2 power wires from vtx to the phantom, 2 phantom wires will be joined with iOSD mini and 2 wires will join go from the mini to vtx. Also you probably can decide if you want to install the anti interference board on at this time. Also the iOSD mini should be installed so that when needed you have an easier way to update it (access to it's microusb slot). for my drone I need to remove the cover. A good excuse to do some preventative maintenance (checking soldering etc).

PS. the vtx antennae should be upgraded to cloverleaf like suggested above me and for the receiver cloverfield and a helical is good combo. Also make sure your vtx antennae is placed on the side of the drone, not behind.

Range wise in the city I had mixed experience. in one direction (near a mobile/radio tower) I got crappy picture starting 100-150 meters out, in other direction I got 300m before LOS and shittier image quality kicked in.

But yesterday I went to countryside and flew my drone 2km without any issues and then bam, almost total loss of video signal. high voltage power lines below (50+ meteres lower) me at that time could have been an issue as well as the signal went from near perfect to non existent very fast.

And turning back I ran into the reason why antennae should be on the side as my video quality was alot worse then heading out there.

Good idea is to download the heli-x simulator software. even the demo mode has phantom as a choice + there is one 3D area to fly in where you can also use the FPV view to just learn the ropes.

TS353 is a great video tx, cheap and works very well from my experience.

My FPV setup that i use and is proved to be good and not expensive, and the best is that is very clean no batteries fixed outside, wires, etc.

Video Tx to install on the phantom:
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s

LCD with Receiver and battery:
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham
LCD Battery Charger: http://j.mp/1h3CreQ

Hey DVC,

I live in Grand Rapids, I'm not sure where in michigan you live but if I can help at all let me know ! This is the set up I'm running right now

Phantom 2 - H3-3d gimbal - GoPro Hero 3+

I went with the iOSD mini to Immersion RC 600mw transmitter down to a Black Pearl 7'' diversity monitor.

As you mentioned you aren't very techie ( same here lol ) so I used this plug and play cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS
I mounted the iOSD mini inside the shell of the Phantom and moved the can-bus port inside as well. Its a very clean install in my opinion!

If you have questions let me know

ddublu said:
To be clear, that plug and play cable does what, exactly?

2 things:

- Takes the video feed from the Phantom and passes it to the iOSD mini, and then from there to the video transmitter.
- Feeds power from the Phantom directly to the video transmitter

I highly recommend it if you're using a P2 (or a P1 with upgrade board), H3-2D/H3-3D + iOSD mini, and Immersion Tx.

And yes, that setup will display telemetry from the NAZA on to whatever video display you have connected on the ground.

OI Photography said:
ddublu said:
To be clear, that plug and play cable does what, exactly?

2 things:

- Takes the video feed from the Phantom and passes it to the iOSD mini, and then from there to the video transmitter.
- Feeds power from the Phantom directly to the video transmitter

I highly recommend it if you're using a P2 (or a P1 with upgrade board), H3-2D/H3-3D + iOSD mini, and Immersion Tx.

And yes, that setup will display telemetry from the NAZA on to whatever video display you have connected on the ground.

Great, thanks....the iOSD, TX and Black Pearl is all that's needed other than P2, H3-3D and Hero 3+? I have seen a mushroom antenna off the back of a P2...is that necessary (if it improves anything, I am in). Lastly, which two antennas do you guys recommend for the receiver?

Mbozarth22 said:
Hey DVC,

I live in Grand Rapids, I'm not sure where in michigan you live but if I can help at all let me know ! This is the set up I'm running right now

I went with the iOSD mini to Immersion RC 600mw transmitter down to a Black Pearl 7'' diversity monitor.

As you mentioned you aren't very techie ( same here lol ) so I used this plug and play cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS
I mounted the iOSD mini inside the shell of the Phantom and moved the can-bus port inside as well. Its a very clean install in my opinion!

Anyone know if this cable can be purchased anywhere else? I'd like to get it overnighted on monday, if possible.

Mbozarth22 said:
Hey DVC,

what kind of range are you getting?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

You just need a monitor mount like this one: :)
20780_2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20