Dying to fly, but too hot :(.

Reaction score
Hey all. Sort have been a lurker for a while. Got a P4 for 50% off so I pulled the trigger and have had her about a week. I am insanely addicted so much that the wife got mad and I had to give her some attention too :). I live in Arizona and its 117 degrees today. Even IF she could handle the heat, I can't. I flew the other day at 106 and got some screwy results so it looks like I am doing morning and night flights. I flew at around midnight last night. I live on the outside of the Phonix city near Lake Pleasant and in a city that has a lot of wide open desert and spaces between subdivisions (lots of mountains and dried up rivers), so night flying doesn't bother anyone. But it kills me that I have such limited Windows this summer. In tmy downtime I am doing some mods - just ordered RIT stain so I can do the props, might attempt the body or try some decals, all got an antenna mod. Any other ideas how I can stay busy?

If you are wondering how I got her for 50% off - I am product reviewer and post reviews on Amazon. DJI contacted me with the offer to post my reviews. I also have a ton of accessories I am getting from various sellers so if you have questions let me know!

We had a few snow flurries here yesterday, been getting to -2 celcius at night.

I use to live in phoenix yep summer is brutal you could go for a drive up to Prescott might be little cooler or go up to payson for a camping trip

Thanks! That's actually not a bad idea. I haven't flown besides around my house. My wife would probably like to take the kids up north for a day trip we are only about an hour away with how far north we live.

I went to ASU. Spent a summer there once with record heat. It never got below 100 for an entire month even at night. At sunrise it was already over 100.

or go up to Jerome could get some cool videos

I went to ASU. Spent a summer there once with record heat. It never got below 100 for an entire month even at night. At sunrise it was already over 100.
lived there when it hit 124 and they shut down sky harbor airport was to hot for jets to take off

I am insanely addicted so much that the wife got mad and I had to give her some attention too :). Any other ideas how I can stay busy?
Think you answered your own question :)

I just went out to give the heat a test. It was about 115° F.

Flew out 16,100' and turned back because of the battery level. Was headed into the wind on the way out, so I went past the return-to-home warning since I would have the wind behind me (HD shows Average Wind Speed 21.7 mph, Max Gust Speed 31.4 mph).

On the way back, still had 3,126' to go when I got Overheated During Discharge and "Warning: Propulsion Output Limited. Aircraft motility has been lowered."

Suddenly wasn't sure I was going to get all the way back at the reduced speed! But I landed with 14% battery.

HD shows the Max Battery Temperature was 161.5° F.

upload_2016-6-4_15-46-7-png.56044

Flew this evening at a bit more leisurely pace - Total 14,191 ft, Max Distance 3,080 ft - for 16 minutes 50 seconds.

Air temp was 100°f, the Max Bat Temp was 143.5°f.

My understanding is that the battery is spec'd to operate at 140°f or less. So even 100°f may still a bit too hot for nominal operation.

Yeah, I worry the heat will reduce the lifespan of these batteries. I have a total of four batteries. I usually don't ever fly more than two at a time because I don't have time (I have a wife and two young kids). I'm thinking of keeping two batteries as hot temp only batteries and the others to be used when flying in "normal" temps, hopefully extending the life of at least two. Not sure if I'll go that route yet.

So far, I have flown every night. 9:00 last night, around 11 the night before. I am tiiirrreeed. I haven't wanted to sleep because I have been playing with my P4 or reading up on things. I just did the ARGtek mod yesterday and it rocked.

You all too brave to fly in this heat...Have been here for over 20 years from New York and will take the heat over humidity and snow any time...also have been working outside for 18 years and got used to the heat...at 65F my fingers get numb.
Here is a forum for Arizona DJI/Phantom fliers:
Security Check Required
There are a few flyers that live on the west side, I am in Gilbert.

If you can get your hands on an iPad Air 2 for display get it. Have used iPad Mini 2, Mini 4 and Air 2 and found the last to be the best choice.
Never used a droid tablet but is too bloatware loaded and some have display problems and video interruptions.

I'm right there with you bud. Out here in the desert in California. Was 117 as well. I fly in the early mornings to get out there. Like 6am. The other day I was out in 97 degree and my IPad Pro over heated.. Thankfully I had JUST got above me to bring her down.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I started out today toward my flying spot with my new windsurfers and tablet shade when it was about 92F. By the time I got there, it was bouncing between 98 and 99. I flew out to 13,700' in light and breezy wind but came back due to battery warning. It arrived back with about 30% battery so I landed after flying over a close hill and back.

I didn't look at battery temp because I was concerned with possibly getting that propulsion limited warning. Everything worked great so I'm still a satisfied customer. However, I don't see myself flying in hotter weather in an attempt to prolong my battery life.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4