dyeing props

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to dye some props blue. Does anyone have a formula that has been tested?
Such as:
Drops ________ Water _________ Time _________

This will give me a starting point. I'd like to get exact so future props will match.

Also, does anyone know a material that can be used as a test? White PVC pipe?
Thx

I just did some in Scarlett Red and Navy Blue. I used the powder die which worked perfect. Came out exactly as I expected. I just used 1 full pack of powder die. I didn't have any issue with it being messy, just be careful when opening it.

I used a large stainless pot filled with enough water to cover the props when added by about 2 inches.

Basically, take the water to between 90 and 95 degrees Celsius. Add die and stir for a few minutes until it is all disolved.

Add the props and set your timer for 20 minutes. Stir the water occasionally (say every 5 minutes) and after 20 minutes they should be good to go. I actually was curious so I stirred a bit more, but I don't think it had any bearing on the result. I also actually took the temp up to 93-94C and then shut off the heat and when it got to 90C degrees, I would turn the heat back on for a minute or so to get it back up to 92-93C and then turned it back off. I only had to turn the heat on once during the whole cycle.

I then moved the blades to a another container with some clean water as a pre-rinse and then just washed them off under the sink.

I will say, if you look at them as you are doing it, it doesn't seem like they are taking the dye as much as you would expect, but I can assure you, after the 20 minutes, they will come out completely dyed.

Reactions: ctp
Does 95 deg C effect the plastic ?
Concerned it would warp the blades or effect the strength.

I have done props & the shell of the phantom & controller with no issues. You can use regular RIT on props but you must use a poly dye for the body as it is a different plastic.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well I tried it last night. I added a cap-full of RIT liquid to 140 degree tap water. Dropped the props in and let the sit overnight. They look great this morning and are real close to the color I was trying to achieve. They are still wet in the picture, but I'm real happy with what I see. The container is a $3 vase from the hobby store.

IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3936.JPG IMG_3937.JPG

Reactions: microraptor
You can dry those off with a towel. Don't leave them wet. They are already dyed, take off the residual.

ok thanks, I was dressed for work took them out snapped a pic a left. There is a fan and there in the garage. I'm sure they dried quick

I'm thinking of doing mine in a florescent orange color for forward blades and iridescent yellow (will look slightly green) for the rear blades. This way, I'll be able to better determine the drone's location if flown farther away or reacquire it if I look down for a moment.

That blue color is very nice. I just want a color that will help me pick this drone out of a blue sky.

Try dying the body of the Phantom to see it better. Be sure to buy 'poly-dye' for the other parts as the plastic is different. I also dyed my monitor mount and my controller.
Oh yeah, do it outside as it stinks pretty bad. I did it in the winter inside and ended up opening all the windows to vent the house. The regular dye does not smell bad, but the poly... whew!

What was the main reason to do that? Just to look cool in front of others? May be you are tired of people saying "I know that copter - it is around 500 bucks". I am tired of all that smart-asses

What was the main reason to do that? Just to look cool in front of others? May be you are tired of people saying "I know that copter - it is around 500 bucks". I am tired of all that smart-asses
Customization my friend! I like to make stuff mine. Plus it is easier to spot out in the wild blue yonder! :D

Customization my friend! I like to make stuff mine. Plus it is easier to spot out in the wild blue yonder! :D

Does it help to spot blue bird on the blue sky? I just wrote my name, site and phone number on top of it. Mini customization. ))) I have seen black Phantom, looks cool, but not for our sunny weather

Yes, it is a dark royal blue sporting blue & red props. I also used a Brother label maker to make custom identification labels.
By the way, if you tape the props (like stripes), the dye won't take so you could make designs or striped the tips if you wanted to get creative.

Reactions: Dounin Front

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31