Durable UAV

Reaction score
Today I was flying too fast for my level of experience and hit the side of a structure. The Phantom dropped 20 feet and landed in grass. I ended up breaking a prop and slightly bending one of the arms but I was expecting much worse! Anyway, I tried to put on a replacement prop but the arm was bent enough that the prop was hitting the body. I took off the top of the shell, applied a little heat and was able to straighten the arm. I checked over all the other components, put the shell back on and took it for a 20 minute test flight with no problems. I realize I may have comprimised the integrity of the shell, and may purchase a new one, but I'm definitely concerned with how complex a job that may be for me.

I feel I got quite lucky and have definitely learned a lesson.

Buy a new shell or buy a new Phantom? I'm not sure if shells are available if that is what you are referring to. I'd keep flying that one though if everything is ok, which it sounds like it was after your application of heat. A few careful test flights are in order I'd guess. :D

If you want to replace the shell, here is a teardown video that was posted in the video's section . Not mine.

I have also taken a heat gun to one of my arms :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLi-wIrEISM[/youtube]

Thanks for pointing out the video. Also, thanks for giving me some confidence that taking a heat gun to the arm is not such a dumb idea after all. Cheers!

Double-D said:
If you want to replace the shell, here is a teardown video that was posted in the video's section . Not mine.

I have also taken a heat gun to one of my arms :roll:

I had a similar thing happen to my P2V, where one of the arms warped and the prop was touching the body. I didn't try a heat gun, but I took two small washers and shimmed the two screws holding the motor on the inside. It restored the motor to level and has been ok since.

Tails_Up said:
I had a similar thing happen to my P2V, where one of the arms warped and the prop was touching the body. I didn't try a heat gun, but I took two small washers and shimmed the two screws holding the motor on the inside. It restored the motor to level and has been ok since.

Wah! I thought the arms were absolutely rigid and would break, not bend... And even more amazed you could tilt a motor and still fly correctly... What about the balance? and the picture from the cam? stiil straight? no vibrations?

sergekouper said:
Wah! I thought the arms were absolutely rigid and would break, not bend... And even more amazed you could tilt a motor and still fly correctly... What about the balance? and the picture from the cam? stiil straight? no vibrations?

Yup, it definitely bent and heating it up and bending it back did the trick. I've had it up a few times since and the cam is great, balance is good with no vibrations. Frankly I'm surprised but thankful.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31