Dummies guide to battery discharge?

Reaction score
Is there a good guide to walk a beginner through the battery discharge process? I have read postings and often confused by the technicality and believe that this should be a simple process. I love to learn about voltage readings during flights and all that good stuff that comes with it but only at a later time. So far, the most practical knowledge I have gotten out is to store that battery at 50% level if I am not flying for more than a week. But I don't even know how to discharge a battery appropriately.

Thanks.

DJI's batteries will discharge themselves. You set the number of days until they do that in the app. I think the default is 10 days, but I have mine set to two days. Once you're done flying, don't press the power button on the battery or it will reset the countdown to self discharge.

DJI's batteries will discharge themselves. You set the number of days until they do that in the app. I think the default is 10 days, but I have mine set to two days. Once you're done flying, don't press the power button on the battery or it will reset the countdown to self discharge.

Thanks for your reply. What is the harm if I leave the battery fully charged? I realize that a charged battery can stay for a while if not being used.

LiPo based batts don't like to be stored at full charge.
I would advise you to Google 'LiPo battery care' or similar as there are special care requirements for these batts. There are many, many, sources on-line.

The best way I know how to discharge a battery is to pop it in the drone and fly it till 50%. Unless you buy that dji battery charger/discharger.

Reactions: DocDiggler
I highly recommend buying the three bay multiple battery charger if you're serious about flying. It will save you time, plus it makes proper maintenance easier, as it will charge you're batteries to 60% or discharge your batteries to 60%, ideal for storage. Just flick the switch to storage and plug it in. Of course it will charge to 100% too, just flick the switch too charge. I think they cost about $90, but worth it.
Correction, I noticed these 3 bay charger/discharges are now only $45.

Last edited:
I highly recommend buying the three bay multiple battery charger if you're serious about flying. It will save you time, plus it makes proper maintenance easier, as it will charge you're batteries to 60% or discharge your batteries to 60%, ideal for storage. Just flick the switch to storage and plug it in. Of course it will charge to 100% too, just flick the switch too charge. I think they cost about $90, but worth it.

Hi John
Got 1 of those they are very good but.
If you want to discharge your lipos to storage level
It will take a long time it's quicker to just fly around the block until you hit 60% or so

Hi John
Got 1 of those they are very good but.
If you want to discharge your lipos to storage level
It will take a long time it's quicker to just fly around the block until you hit 60% or so
Yes that's an option, however occasionally I don't have time to fly, it's handy to use the discharge function in a pinch, although it's not very often I need to do that. Depending where you live (such as in the country with no neighbors nearby), flying from home might suffice, but I never fly from home, I don't want to disturb the neighbors. More often I'll use the storage setting to charge my batteries to 60%. When I know I'll be flying I'll charge them to 100% the night before, or the morning of.

I am looking for some answers to, so if the drone landed i may not shutdown the battery if i don't want to lose my 2 days discharge configuration i made in the app??
Same question for a second battery i want to discharge a fully loaded second battery via the DJi app?
Do i have to put it in the Phantom and lite it up to give the discharge instruction to the battery?
Thanks for reply or please point me to a topic that has it all clearly explained.

The battery will discharge itself to ~60% when it reaches the number of day you set in the Go app, the max is 10 days. The battery will not change that discharge configuration, you have to change it in the Go app. The default setting from the factory is 10 days before it starts to discharge.

Reactions: JMR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik