Dumb question re: Course lock

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a right dill.... I understand course lock allows one to rotate the Phantom 360deg whilst it is maintaining a particular course (brilliant idea by the way), my question being: Is the rate of travel preset or will it maintain the speed at which it was traveling when CL was activated?

I would think that the speed could be controlled as in other modes.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
At the risk of sounding like a right dill.... I understand course lock allows one to rotate the Phantom 360deg whilst it is maintaining a particular course (brilliant idea by the way), my question being: Is the rate of travel preset or will it maintain the speed at which it was traveling when CL was activated?

Yes - I think that you are misunderstanding how it works. Activating CL just locks the direction of travel for forward pitch (right stick forwards) and makes it independent of the direction the aircraft is actually facing. Speed is still controlled as before - by the amount of pitch (or roll) applied.

When it comes back to home point , it's like your the center of a spoked wheel. It'll fly around you not some object away from you.

Well when you come back in home lock it changes to course lock in I think its 30' from home . Then it'll circle around you .

Mori55 said:
Well when you come back in home lock it changes to course lock in I think its 30' from home . Then it'll circle around you .

It does switch out of home lock to course lock 10 m from the home point, but course lock does not lead to circling - that would be home lock.

sar104 said:
Mori55 said:

It does switch out of home lock to course lock 10 m from the home point, but course lock does not lead to circling - that would be home lock.

I'm not sure I understand how home lock could result in circling. My experience has been that when returning with Home Lock and you are within 30 m, the path is more angular as it reverts to course lock, then back to home lock exiting 30m. It never actually circles.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
sar104 said:
Mori55 said:

I'm not sure I understand how home lock could result in circling. My experience has been that when returning with Home Lock and you are within 30 m, the path is more angular as it reverts to course lock, then back to home lock exiting 30m. It never actually circles.

In home lock, roll input, with no pitch, will result in circling the home point.

Mori55 said:
In home lock, roll input, with no pitch, will result in circling the home point.

Wow, thanks for the post. That makes sense. I have only used the "back" input. Never thought about what would happen if left or right input was used.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Mori55 said:

Wow, thanks for the post. That makes sense. I have only used the "back" input. Never thought about what would happen if left or right input was used.

No problem. Home lock is represented by the wheel and spokes model, with the home point at the center. Pitch drives it out (or back) along whichever radius (spoke) that it is positioned on, while roll drives it circumferentially, clockwise or counter-clockwise, keeping it equidistant from the home point.

Course lock is represented by a 2-D rectilinear grid, with one axis parallel to the direction that the aircraft was facing when CL was last registered - typically at power up unless it is later reset by S2 toggling. Pitch drives it along that CL axis, and roll drives it orthogonally.

Mori55 said:
Wish I could of explained it that well !

Agreed...

Wish I had known this before! I needed to do a 360 view of something for a video I shot. Using the roll and yaw together to try and make a smooth circle was a challenge .... Now I think had I set home point over the object and used the Home Lock circle described it would have been much smoother and easier.

sar104 said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Mori55 said:

No problem. Home lock is represented by the wheel and spokes model, with the home point at the center. Pitch drives it out (or back) along whichever radius (spoke) that it is positioned on, while roll drives it circumferentially, clockwise or counter-clockwise, keeping it equidistant from the home point.

Course lock is represented by a 2-D rectilinear grid, with one axis parallel to the direction that the aircraft was facing when CL was last registered - typically at power up unless it is later reset by S2 toggling. Pitch drives it along that CL axis, and roll drives it orthogonally.

Great explanation! Although I will now have to google the word "orthogonally" :)

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Mori55 said:
Wish I could of explained it that well !

Agreed...

Wish I had known this before! I needed to do a 360 view of something for a video I shot. Using the roll and yaw together to try and make a smooth circle was a challenge .... Now I think had I set home point over the object and used the Home Lock circle described it would have been much smoother and easier.

Not really... In plain English, the nose doesn't stay fixed to the center or home position. It's fixed to a set compass direction... Your last yaw position

I believe that is true in COURSE lock but not in HOME lock where the phantom should revolve around the home point when using the roll stick input. The direction that the bird faces when doing this "revolution" can be changed at any time using the yaw stick input if I understand correctly.

npalen said:
I believe that is true in COURSE lock but not in HOME lock where the phantom should revolve around the home point when using the roll stick input. The direction that the bird faces when doing this "revolution" can be changed at any time using the yaw stick input if I understand correctly.

You are correct. If for example you hold the right stick to the left it will make a smooth left circle around the home point. All you have to do then is using the left stick yaw the Phantom to maintain camera focused on your object. It is much easier than trying to keep a smooth circle manipulating both controls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4