Dumb noob FPV questions of the week

Reaction score
Hey all - have a P3A inbound. Planning to eventually use my Android phone and VR goggles for FPV. Two questions from someone with zero experience and zero drones........until WEDNESDAY. Who's counting tho.

1. I know many important controls are already on the RC of the P3A, but does the need ever arise in DJI Go or Litchi to touch the screen in flight? Which would be inside the VR goggles...how do you all work around that?

2. God forbid I get a phone call or something similar while airborne - anything you all do to prevent this?

Thanks all!

Reactions: KabukiKen
I'm thinking your going to need another screen on the RC holder, so when you need to bring it down you'll push the googles up to view your 2nd screen.
I don't think you can connect two smartdevices to the phantom at the same time. @TS for the reasons you mentioned i've taken the route with the hdmi adapter and goggles, more expensive but it seperates the FPV from the controls.

Hey all - have a P3A inbound. Planning to eventually use my Android phone and VR goggles for FPV. Two questions from someone with zero experience and zero drones........until WEDNESDAY. Who's counting tho.

1. I know many important controls are already on the RC of the P3A, but does the need ever arise in DJI Go or Litchi to touch the screen in flight? Which would be inside the VR goggles...how do you all work around that?

2. God forbid I get a phone call or something similar while airborne - anything you all do to prevent this?

Thanks all!

IMG_00101.jpg

Thanks all!
DJI go and Litchi app need touches to move around. I have seen VR goggles with remotes to work on screens thru Bluetooth.

I usually fly with airplane mode so no chances of getting any calls or messages. Please do one task at a time. :)

Thanks all - all good advice. A few times I've forgotten to turn on airplane mode - needs to be on my preflight!

if you get the HDMI adapter for your controller you can view the screen thru another device. The trick would be to get your VR equipment to accept an HDMI input. You could then use a cheap tablet (like the nvidia sheild) on your controller for touchscreen control and still have your goggles

I'm doing that, but I'm using the Epson BT-200 glasses with an HDMI interface (both items are a little pricey but man they are cool!)

Here's a pic:
View media item 1689

I'm thinking your going to need another screen on the RC holder, so when you need to bring it down you'll push the googles up to view your 2nd screen.
Why not just push the goggles up and look at the p3 directly?
When I use my goggles I switch to the phone camera through the goggles and don't take goggles off, it gets some getting used to and I suggest you pull the goggles off and look at the bird directly.

Gotcha. So question - when using something like Headplay, is the FPV quality influenced at all by the tablet? For instance, I'm using an iPad Mini 2 now; would I get better FPV by spending $200 on a Shield K1 (with an HDMI output) verses spending $100 on an HDMI board for my RC? Seems like with an HDMI board the signal would go straight out from the RC vs. through the tablet on the Shield - any ideas?

Gotcha. So question - when using something like Headplay, is the FPV quality influenced at all by the tablet? For instance, I'm using an iPad Mini 2 now; would I get better FPV by spending $200 on a Shield K1 (with an HDMI output) verses spending $100 on an HDMI board for my RC? Seems like with an HDMI board the signal would go straight out from the RC vs. through the tablet on the Shield - any ideas?

If you are using hdmi goggles then you won't be plugged in to a tablet!!

If you are using hdmi goggles then you won't be plugged in to a tablet!!
Yes, shield tablet has HDMI out. Seems to me there will be a little more lag in the signal when it first has to go through the tablet.

Yes, shield tablet has HDMI out. Seems to me there will be a little more lag in the signal when it first has to go through the tablet.

So you mean HDMI in then. Or you are saying plug the RC to the shield and them the goggles in to the HDMI out of the shield?
If that's what you mean, I wouldn't do that, I would plug the goggles directly into HDMI of RC.

So you mean HDMI in then. Or you are saying plug the RC to the shield and them the goggles in to the HDMI out of the shield?
If that's what you mean, I wouldn't do that, I would plug the goggles directly into HDMI of RC.
No, HDMI output is on the shield tablet, So the shield is connected to the RC through USB (or wifi when using the Phantom 3 Standard) and the goggles to the HDMI-out on the shield.

Maybe you are thinking the same thing here? Anyway, i think there is a little bit more lag when the signal first has to be processed by the tablet and then goes to the goggles.

No, HDMI output is on the shield tablet, So the shield is connected to the RC through USB (or wifi when using the Phantom 3 Standard) and the goggles to the HDMI-out on the shield.

Maybe you are thinking the same thing here? Anyway, i think there is a little bit more lag when the signal first has to be processed by the tablet and then goes to the goggles.

Yea, we are on same wave length.
I agree, there's will be lag!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj