Dual IMU and Compass

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
Word has it, the P4 features dual IMU and compass as a first step towards redundancy. The real question here is can you achieve accurate redundancy with two systems or do you really need three as is common in the aviation industry.

Lots of ways you can use dual sensors for improved accuracy. You can run internal checks for data reliability and simply fail the sensor when it falls out of spec but leaving you with one functional sensor. You can average (probably not a good idea - the craft would then crash only half as hard). You can poll the sensor history to see if it stops making sense ("I just moved 1000 feet in 0.1 seconds!) and shut the sensor down.

And there are more sophisticated data sharing algorithms. Three is better (you can poll and reject the bad boy) but there are ways around it.

I wonder, do you have to do the compass dance twice?

Lot's of ways you can have a higher degree of certainty. But still less than 99%.

Dual means 2 right? 2 means that there is a spare right?
This means I can crash it more than once and have a spare right?

It could be that the IMU and compass may not be on the same system. 1 could be for your normal flying and the other for the avoidance system. Or it could be built into the camera and gimbal.

I prefer tri con with a decision made based on minimum of 2 out of three voting on criticals.

Word has it, the P4 features dual IMU and compass as a first step towards redundancy. The real question here is can you achieve accurate redundancy with two systems or do you really need three as is common in the aviation industry.
We need more but two are better than one in certain aspects.

Unless all 3 go bad because of a bad batch. Maybe 10 would be nice ....unless!!!!!

That will very rapidly become the reality. An array of cheap sensors. Increased accuracy. Full redundancy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik