Dual Battery Connection?

Reaction score
Noob question ahead:

So I finally had a day with the wind only blowing about 18 to 20 instead of the average 25 to 30 since I put the dual batteries on the Phantom.

I go out all stoked doing a snoopy dance only to find a never before heard alarm upon plugging in the power to the plug? (so no compass dance as a follow up)

Is there something I should have, or needed to do- either in the software, or upgrade esc's, or what? I immediately unplugged the power, chose to double check all pre-flight details with a single battery, and burned up 4 batteries before I took the copter home this evening. I just checked the footage and I am very pleased with the results... but I don't know what the deal is with dual batteries.

Any help out there?

*on a side note- I tried to dig up a thread or n answer before posting this, but either I suck at search here, or threads are so unique nothing comes up under obvious terms... or maybe both.

Dual batteries should work with no more adjustment than adding the proper parallel splitter cable. If both the batteries tried in the dual setup ended up working fine independently, then I'd say the cable is possibly wired wrong (one of the connectors reversed) or has a cold joint.

OI Photography said:
Dual batteries should work with no more adjustment than adding the proper parallel splitter cable. If both the batteries tried in the dual setup ended up working fine independently, then I'd say the cable is possibly wired wrong (one of the connectors reversed) or has a cold joint.

I was suspect of that- but it is such a simple and basic wiring harness, that other than pulling the heat shrink to check connections, it is easy to verify integrity (plus I checked continuity and it's right- I think- gonna go back and look again)

Any chance it is something to do with v1.1.1 components? (I know that is a stretch- but I am grasping here)

I didn't allow it much time with the loud alarm... it was just a sec... lit up green solid and squealed at me... I wanted to fly so I didn't bother doing any field troubleshooting.

Thanks ol photography for the reply.

Just make sure you're wiring your dual batteries as parallel not series. Series = bad.
A parallel harness should just be a Y connector with +ves connected together and -ves connected together. There is nothing else you need to do.

rilot said:
Just make sure you're wiring your dual batteries as parallel not series. Series = bad.
A parallel harness should just be a Y connector with +ves connected together and -ves connected together. There is nothing else you need to do.

Doh!

Um... yeah... like I knew that... :roll:

'preciate that rilot :oops:

It would be very easy to figure out with a basic multimeter....first check the Y wire for continuity, then hook up the dual batteries first one to one side of the Y then check for voltage where it plugs into the phantom...then unplug that battery and plug in the other battery to the other side of the Y and again check voltage where it plugs into the phantom.....lastly plug them both in and check the voltage making sure it is where it is suppose to be 12+.....I know this sound simple but Ive screwed it up my fair share of times....and had a bad Y wire once as well.....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4